Thread: WW2 Air Minstry Posts - How can I trace what an officer was doing - Confid AF Lists?

Thanks

Default WW2 Air Minstry Posts - How can I trace what an officer was doing - Confid AF Lists?

In researching the life of the WW1 RFC Major Keith Day Pearce Murray,MC born Auckland 1891 and died in Dorset 1982, I hope to find what he was doing in WW2 between Feb 1939 and Jan 1942, when he relinquished his commission on health grounds.
    After leaving RFC in Feb1919 he became a famous silverware, glassware and ceramic designer before revertingback to his primary vocation as an architect after WW2.

Air Force Lists for WW2 show him commissioned as a Plt Off (Service No; 72706) in Feb 1939 and after a Mention in Despatches in the 1942 New Year Honours he resigned as an Acting Sqn Ldr on 6 Jan1942. Early WW2 AF Lists show him in the Air Ministry in the Admin & Special Duties Branch working in the Directorate o fBomber Operations in the March 1941 List. He only appears in the Indexes in later AF lists but I have his ID card as an Acting Sqn Ldr at High Wycombe ......which was HQ Bomber Command)

Does anyone know what Keith Murray was doing in WW2 and what his duties wouldhave entailed please? Since he rejoined the RAF in Feb 1939 before the war started one might assume that he may have been 'head-hunted' for one of his many talents.
    Living a fair way from the NA at Kew I cannot get to see Confidential Air Force Lists easily.

Please reply to contactus@10sqnass.co.uk or via this forum. Thanks in anticipation
    Last edited by Jagan; 1st October 2017 at 15:34. Reason: Removed Font/Color Tags

Thanks

10Assoc, Hi,
    You need to get yr man's Service Record. That will show which Units he was Posted to (and Attached), and when he was Posted there. From these you (and others on this Forum) can begin to work out what he might have been doing, and even why!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Resmoroh,
    Thanks for your comment. You are absolutely correct and I have asked Murray's daugjhter to obtain his Service Record, which is eagerly awaited. I have a feeling that Murray was involved with the shake up of Bomber Command in late 1941/42 when their appalling losses, lack of good training, and poor equpimenmt were all mentioned in the Butt Report and subsequently led to AVM Pierse being moved as C-in-C and Harris taking over in early 1942. Thanks for you comments. It's a shame that the NA still don't have more digitalised docs available on line, especially those above Sqn Record level; i.e. Station and Command level papers. I live in hope!
    Last edited by 10 Sqn Assoc; 6th October 2017 at 09:48.