Thread: 31 EFTS De Winton 6-9 April 1942

Thanks

Default 31 EFTS De Winton 6-9 April 1942

Before I go down the road of ordering a copy from the National Archives, has anyone researched 31 EFTS at De Winton and, in so doing, obtained a copy of the document?

I'm researching a LAC John Alfred Hodgson (1454046) who started his course on 8 March 1942, but was hospitalised at Calgary Isolation Hospital exactly a month later. He remained in hospital for a month, and I'm wondering if he had been injured in an aircraft accident.

Brian

Thanks

Brian,
    There is no need to order a copy from The National Archives at Kew because the entire diary is freely available on line at the Canadiana Heritage site.
    The period you are interested in begins at image #1417.
    http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...9/1417?r=0&s=4

I can see no mention of your airman in connection with the accidents which occurred around this period. During the period March to June 1942 #31 E.F.T.S. appears to be re-equipping with the PT-27 Stearman, but in common the other Stearman equipped RAF schools in Canada, retained a small number of DH82C Tiger Moths for night flying exercises.

If you should decide to access the individual accident reports these are also available at Heritage, however they do take a little searching for.

Having looked at the actual bound volume held at Kew and having copies of the RCAF microfilms, (as scanned to the Heritage site) I sure they are the same.

Hope this helps, Tony

Thanks

Thank you very much for the link, Tony, I'm very grateful. I was just wondering why he should have been out of action for so long, and an accident seemed a good starting point. Seems as though I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Brian

Thanks

Surely, an isolation hospital is for those who suffer from infectious diseases.