Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1627274 Sgt Charles Storer Nelson, 51 Sqdn, KIA 02/03 October 1943

Thanks

Hi Pat and John,

Details from Bomber Command Report on Night Operations 2/3rd October, 1943.

Halifax taking part in Minelaying 2/3 October 1943 Baltic Sea:

4 Group - Fehmarn Channel
    4 Group - The Sound (Missing 1)
    4 Group - Kiel Harbour - Alternative Area Kattegat
    6 Group - Sassnitz - Alternative Area Kattegat and Aalborg

Regards

Finn

Thanks

Hi Pat/Finn,

I had a look in Theo Boiten's book Nachtjagd War Diaries and he has Halifax LW287 as being shot down by flak in Ronne harbour and exploding over the sea north of Ronne. I'll drop Theo an email to see if he can add anymore.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Dear all,

Very interesting story -the Kiel-based Flak claim for LW287 is new to me, at present I've no additional details about the individual Flak units involved in the shooting down of the Halifax I'm afraid.

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Thanks to all contributing so far - although we don't yet seem to be significantly further on, these things sometimes coalesce gradually. I'm certainly interested in the two locations - Kieler Fjord and Rønne - for the loss of LW287 and (probably) another 4-engined a/c that night. I guess if we can ID the other loss and its location that would de facto give us the location for LW287 as well.

Also still open to any information about the LW287 crew, of course.

Thanks again, Pat.

Thanks

Looking at the 51sqdn ORB, it would seem that they were lost on their first op with the squadron

Thanks

Really? I know it's illogical, but I always find such losses imbued with great pathos (and those of second dicky pilots, for the same reason).

Pat

Thanks

Hi,

WAR DIARY OF THE GERMAN NAVAL STAFF (Operations Division) October 1943.

Excerpt:

3 Oct. 1943 CONFIDENTIAL

IV. Skagerrak, Baltic Sea Entrances, Baltic Sea

1. Enemy Situation:

Minor gunfire and slight patrol boat traffic were observed in Kronstadt Bay.

Eighty planes flew in over Denmark, the Baltic Sea entrances, Fehmarn Belt, Luebeck Bay and the central part of the Baltic, apparently on mining operations.

A returning Liberator was shot down by naval anti-aircraft guns in the outer Kiel estuary.

--------------

I have checked the 8th AF operations on 2 and 3 October 1943. No missions to Kiel area or loss of a Liberator in same. The statement of a Liberator, must be related to the 4 engines and shape of the tail caught in the flak searchlight. Equal to a Halifax.

Regards,

Finn

Thanks

Hi Pat,

Just a follow-up to the earlier comments about Halifax II LW287 from 51 Sqn and minelaying area in the evening of 2 October 1943.

Halifax II JN924 from same Squadron, was hit and damaged by a German fighter over the North Sea off Ringkøbing (Denmark) on return from minelaying in the Baltic sea.

More details in "Airwar over Denmark":

http://www.flensted.eu.com/19430102.shtml

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Crew posted to 51 Squadron from 1652 CU Marston Moor 31/08/1943 (Sept. Summary of events) No ops in Sept. Connor's service record is available on Ancestry. Looks like he trained at 7 OTU but gives no further detail of British service. Contrary to what Chorley says Connor was born in Edinburgh in 1911. Married 1932 an American not left not only a widow but also a 11 year old son.

Thanks

Thanks for your continuing efforts, folks.

John, that looks pretty plausible to me for a sprog crew - from HCU to squadron then a month or so before starting ops in earnest (I'm sure it varied tremendously from place to place and time to time, though, but it fits the one case I'm particularly familiar with).

Finn, JN924 must be the Halifax which was so badly shot-up it had to be scrapped on its return. Interesting it was operating over the Baltic, and the Germans recorded eight planes in the area that night. You're surely right about the Liberator/Halifax confusion, too.
    Cheers, Pat