Thread: 14th Personnel Training Command RAF at Antwerp, 1944-45

Thanks

Default 14th Personnel Training Command RAF at Antwerp, 1944-45

Hello,

I am new here, this is my first post.

I am a guide in one of the Antwerp forts, Fort2 at Wommelgem/Borsbeek. I am doing some research on the role of the fort after the liberation of Antwerp (september 1944-may 1945).

Thanks to a RAF veteran who visitied us about 3 years ago, we now know that the fort was occupied from October 1944 until April 1945 by the 14th Personnel Training Command of the RAF, a unit that was under Canadian orders for the largest part of their stay.

I also discovered that the 14 PTC suffered a terrible blow when a V2 rocket killed most of its soccer team during a soccer match near the fort, on 22 October 1944.

That is about all I could find out about the unit.

I was wondering if any body can help me a little further with my research, especially the war diary would be of great value to us, but all information on the unit is more than welcome.

Thank you very much!

Niko.

Thanks

Hi Niko

Welcome to the form.

The correct designation of the unit is No 14 Personnel Transit Centre.

From my website (Members' Area): -

No 14 Personnel Transit Centre
    This was formed on 11 February 1944 under the control of No 84 Group at Sawbridgeworth, moving to Finmere on 13 March 1944, Sennicotts on 6 April, Molecomb on 23 May, Waterbeach on 15 July and the following day to Old Sarum in preparation for its transit to the continent. It arrived in France on 19 July at Amblie and wa ssoon on the move again, to Brionne on 5 September, Cremont on the 8th, B59 Ypres on the 18th, then to B70 Deurne on 9 October. The same month it moved to Fort 2, Antwerp, B77 Gilze-Rijen on 28 December, Breda on 31 December then back to Fort 2 on New Year's Day 1945. On 22 January it moved to an ex concentration camp at Hulton, then to Hees near Nijmegan on 19 April, the Nave Hotel, Lingen on 22 April, Nordhorn on 25 April, Lechtingen on 31 May 1945. It's final move was on 23 July to The Kindergarten, Burgdorf near Hanover, where it disbanded on 30 April 1946.

All the best

Malcolm

Thanks

Thank you very much Malcolm.

Nice to have some more information on the unit, is there anywhere I might find out more about it, the V2 must be surely somewhere mentioned....

By coincidence, I visited Old Sarum last summer, and saw the air base there!

Greetings,
    Niko.

Thanks

Niko

There is a file at the National Archives relating to the unit, but I have no idea about its content and whether it will assist with your research.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7160671

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Thank you, Pete,

Will have a look into that, even the smallest detail might be interesting to me.

Greetings,
    Niko.