Thread: Service numbers on promotion

Thanks

Default Service numbers on promotion

An oddity I have come across.

Sgt Grimwood Cooke served with 106 Sqn.

He was awarded a DFM in March 42, was then promoted, then received a DFC in July 42.

His service number for the DFM award was 778293.

His number shown on his DFC award is 80346.

But, and this is the issue, the LG issue that shows his promotion,(pg 1863 of 1942) says his number became 119877.

Tavender, Carter, and Maton all confirm this.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks

Jim

Thanks

Default Service numbers

When I was an AC2 my number was 1867490 but when I was commissioned it was changed to 176687.

Thanks

Default Marks

Jim,

I've across service number issues like yourself.

The main problem that seems to come up in the London Gazette is when a wartime RAFVR is given an officer number that belongs to a block of numbers for regular officers. This is to denote when regular NCOs who are then commisioned in the RAF not the wartime RAFVR. Numbers like 119877 are more likely RAFVR !

I think in Cooke's case the number issue may have something to do with him being Rhodesian. I think they may have kept a block of numbers just for Rhodesian when they were commissioned . Maybe it was more for administration, hence the problem when they gave him the normal RAFVR number 119877. Example

777654/80121 (Captain) Robert Victor ALLAN D.F.C Southern/Rhodesia

Mark

Thanks

Jim, There appears to be no logical reason for giving Cooke's service number as 119877 on commissioning. The other two entries, while an officer, that is promotion to FO and the award of the DFC give his number as 80346, as does his entry on the CWGC site. I searched either side of the two numbers to see if that would provide a clue, but to no avail. 119876 belongs to an ex-Flt Sgt and 119878 belongs to an ex-Sgt both commissioned wef the same day as Cooke. 80345 belongs to a FO who was direct commn into the A&SD Br wef 2 Jan 40 but not gazetted until May 42 and 80347 belongs to an ex-AC2 commn as a FO wef 12 Nov 41 but appearing in the same edition of the LG as Cooke, 876 and 878. His obituary appears in the London Times of 19 Oct 43. Regards, Terry

Thanks

The OR number 778293 is in the block 777600 - 778999 allocated to S Rhodesian Enlistments. We had 7 S Rhodesian Met Men directly Commissioned into the RAFVR. 5 of their numbers are in the 80xxx range, and 2 in the 1600xx range. They all Relinquished their RAFVR Commissions in the months after WW2 on Reversion to S Rhodesian Forces.
    This does not solve the problem but it does show that Officer numbers do not seem to follow the same sort of rules as OR numbers.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Thank you all for those responses.

I guess one day when the personal papers become available at Kew there will be a note on his record.

Until then, I'll record him as 80346.

Cheers

Jim