Thread: 57 Sqn Hawker Hind K5482 lost 12/08/36

Thanks

Default 57 Sqn Hawker Hind K5482 lost 12/08/36

This aircraft crashed nr Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire in poor visibility whilst en-route to Biggin Hill from Upper Heyford with the loss of both crew.

I am trying to establish what flight this aircraft belonged to? From checking photo's, paintings and documents, it appears 57 Sqn Hinds used a combination of Red/Yellow/ Blue Spinners/Wheel hubs and "57" ID markings on the aircraft fuselage - depending on which flight was which. I "think" it was Red - A Flt, Yellow - B Flt and Blue C Flt

Can anyone with knowledge of the pre war 57 Sqn kindly confirm if this correct and what flight K5482 was allocated to at the time of its loss

Thanks in advance for any information

Tony

Thanks

Hi Tony,

According to the master of such things, Bruce Robertson, you are totally correct on the flight colours applied to 57 Sqn Hinds and the 57 on the fuselage. It should also have carried the 57 Sqn crest on the fin.
    He also says that K5482 was in the first batch supplied new to 57 from May 1936 K5477-k5482 and K5489-K5494. Regret do not know which Flight it belonged to.

regards Peter

Thanks

Peter

Many thanks for the update - greatly appreciated! However I am still stumped by what flight it belonged to - which clearly leads to the issue of the correct colour of the "flight markings"

This aircraft was the first fatal accident involving an aircraft in the service of Bomber Command following its creation in July '36. I am in contact with an artist who is considering painting a montage of this aircraft and also Vulcan XM604 - the first and last fatal aircraft losses in the service of Bomber Command

Cheers anyway

Tony

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Worth reading how the captain survived the loss of Vulcan XM604: http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55959

Robert