Thread: Lancaster ND387- looking for crash reports

Thanks

Default Lancaster ND387- looking for crash reports

Hello all

Wonder if anyone can help with any reports on the following loss, I am interested to know the actual site.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Lancaster ND387.
    Squadron 1651
    X1D BS-K
    Operation Training
    Date 1 3rd March 1945
    Date 2 4th March 1945

"Although lost on a trainig flight, this aircraft, plus three other Lancasters have been included in this file of operational losses since they were all shot down by enemy Intruders during Exercise Gisela, thus, technically, KIA. Serial range ND324 - NE181 This aircraft was one of 600 Lancaster Mk.111s ordered from A.V.Roe (Chadderton) and delivered from Dec43 to May44 with Merlin 38 engines. ND387 was delivered to No.83 Sqdn 10Jan44, to No.7 Sqdn 10Feb44, to No.90 Sqdn 10Oct44, to 1651CU 18Feb45. Took part in the following Key Operations; With No.83 sqdn No operations; With No.7 sqdn as MG-C, Leipzig 19/20Feb44; Schweinfurt 24/25Feb44; Stuttgart 15/16mar44; Berlin 24/25Mar44; As MG-O, Mailly-le-Camp 3/4May44; With No.90 sqdn, Nuremburg 19/120Oct44; Attenbeken 14Feb45-daylight; with 1651CU-shot down by Intruder 3/4mar45. No record of total hours. Shot down 0115 4Mar45 crashing near Woolfox Lodge Airfield, Rutland. Those killed are buried in various cemeteries in UK. Three are buried in Cambridge City Cemetery. F/S A.Howard KIA sgt A.W.Darling KIA Sgt W.J.Pullan KIA F/O K.C.Millar KIA F/S R.B.Wilson RNZAF KIA Sgt A.w.Taylor KIA Sgt J.Thompson "

Thanks

Stuart,

If you email me at errol.martyn@xtra.co.nz I will send you a copy of the Circumstantial Report on ND387 as found on Wilson's RNZAF service file.

Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol

In parallel / in co-operation with Rod Mackenzie (who's discovered vastly more about Gisela than I expect anyone else knows) for some months now I've been researching the goings-on that night.

The 1651 HCU ORB simply says the a/c (coded QQ-K, F/S A Howard) came down '3 miles north of the landing ground'. There's nothing in the Cottesmore ORB.

Could you possibly send me a copy of that report as well, please? If so, that would be great as it might contain details that I haven't come across.

Hope this is ok, and many thanks.

Ian

ian DOT hunt29 AT btinternet DOT com

Thanks

Hello Ian,

On its way to you!

Cheers,
    Errol

Thanks

Thanks Errol

Received ok.

Thanks

Default Re: Lancaster ND387- looking for crash reports

Hello

I have just joined this forum. I found it whilst searching for history of my late Uncle , Augustus Howard, who was the pilot of that aircraft on that fateful night .. I would love to hear more ..
    Best wishes David Howard

Thanks

Default Re: Lancaster ND387- looking for crash reports

Hi David
    Care to email me (per earlier post above) and I can send you what I've got. Admittedly not much, I'm afraid.
    Ian