Thread: The 100 year rule

Thanks

Default The 100 year rule

I am trying to puzzle out the 100-Year Rule which is quoted by archives practically every time I try to access old personal data for deceased personnel. Can anyone direct me to a simple (for my mind) document which explains the rule? (My searches have been unsuccessful.)

The 1939 Register (https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register) for instance, provides full names, birth dates, age, employment, marital status and addresses for September 1939, for anyone born before 1920. Admittedly such details for those born after 1920 are redacted (locked), but these can be unlocked on proof of death (death certificate).

My problem is that I'm trying to obtain education details for a WAAF who was born in 1913 and died in 1942, but the northern archives holding the information quotes the 100-Year Rule for not helping. I believe the organisation is completely wrong in this instance, but am unable to find the official definition of said rule.

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...nformation.pdf

The Advisory Council has recommended that a lifetime of 100 years should be assumed. Thus if a person is aged 30 in a 1950 record and the
    information should not be released during their lifetime, the closure period would last until the end of 2020 (open on 1 January 2021).
    Dave

Thanks

Thank you, Dave, for your quick reply. The whole document is exactly what I was seeking, and can be quoted if necessary. The important point is that the 100 years runs from the birth of an individual unless death can be proven, not the document that contains the information - in 'my' case this was 1924.

My searches were based on '100-year rule' so little wonder I hit a brick wall.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 13th October 2017 at 07:53.

Thanks

Hi

A Branch, under the Department of Transport, used a European Directive with me, relating to the Air Ministry (1939-1940), to block access under FoI., as they consider one or two might still be alive.

However, I've had various rules quoted, 100 years from Birth, 100 years from their last day of Service, 100 years from the last piece of correspondence on the file. Although, I believe a 'Closed' file can't be added to.

In the event of death in Service, they applied the same rule, as if they were Coroner's files (75 yrs), with limited information to next of kin before 75 yrs.

Another application for personnel papers said there were no papers (apart from a single Form) owing to the file contents being destroyed after death.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 13th October 2017 at 16:55.

Thanks

What is and what isn't disclosed, from various archives and organisations, leaves me bewildered.
    Last time I was at the National Archives I looked up an AIR 81 file for a researcher in Germany.
    There was one casualty covered in the file and to my amazement it included a dozen or more photos taken in the aftermath of the crash in Germany.
    These included the crash site and wreckage, the successful Flak crew and the funeral procession and burial of the pilot.
    Most remarkably, there are two photos of the deceased pilot lying in the coffin.
    Now, try applying for that individual's service record and you'll have difficulty prising his trade categories from RAF Disclosures.
    Sensitive information must be protected!

Regards

Mike