Thread: Possible RAF Losses 1945 - 267 Log

Thanks

Default Possible RAF Losses 1945 - 267 Log

Bit of a long shot, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I've been looking through a log book belonging to a pilot with 267 Squadron and there are a number of interesting entries regarding missing aircraft. It may be impossible to tie these aircraft down, but I thought I'd post the details from the log book here just in case.

6th June 1945
    Dakota KN564
    Base - Magwe (TNO MILK) Magwe - Base FOUND CHUTE FROM MISSING AIRCRAFT

16th September 1945
    Dakota KJ886
    Penang - Ragoon INTERCEPTED SOS. LOCTAED A/C ON BEACH AT BOGYIYWA. DROPPED RATIONS TO CREW

19th October 1945
    Dakota KG542
    Base - Phuket Is - Butterworth PARA DROP TO FORCE LANDED DAK.

I know if may be impossible to work out which aircraft the lost/missing aircraft are, but I thought the locations and dates might help.

There are also other interesting articles including this:

12th June 1945
    Dakota FD955
    Meiktila - Mingladon (Rangoon) PASSENGERS FOR VICTORY PARADE RISKED A/C IN WORST WEATHER YET
    Rangoon - Base (Casualties and mail)

Can any members suggest what the victory parade would have been?

Johnnie

Thanks

Johnnie

Sometimes for S.A.R. missions the ORB lists which aircraft they were actually searching for. The 267 Sqn ORB Form 540, with appendices, is available on the National Archives website, and is one file running from Feb 1945 to Feb 1946:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D8398233

Worth a punt for 3.50 - you may be lucky...

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Bingo! Looks like the ORB holds the key, as it has the following notes:

7th June 1945
    All crews were briefed to look for an aircraft of 62 Squadron lost on June 6th a rough position was given as 1950 N 9415 E. A/C 564 X Flown by F/O Turner on way from Magwe to Base flew along the west coast from RAMREE ISLAND to AKYAB ISLAND. The crew spotted a parachute hung up in a tree position 13 MM on a bearing 066˚ from 1948N 9354 E. F/O Turner definitely identified it as a parachute flying at 50 ft and circled the position. The time of discovery was 1653 hours. The incident was reported to intelligence on briefing.

16th September 1945
    On the return from shuttle duties F/O Turner picked up an SOS at 1233 hrs from an a/c which said they had run out of petrol and were having to crash land, the a/c gave C/S XLKJ. At 1240 hrs F/O Turner located the a/c on the beach at BOGYIYAN (1444N – 9750 E). all members of the crew were seen to get out of the a/c and as F/O Turner had some spare compo rations he dropped of a tin to the crew in trouble, rations were received safely, and as Turner made a second run over them to drop blankets and medical supplies, heavy cu and ab built up over the beach making a second run impossible, the a/c turned out to be belonging 96 Squadron, they were contacted and F/O Turner was thanked for his work. A search party already having been dispatched by that unit.

17th October 1945
    During the afternoon a message was received by W/T to Sqn than one a/c from the Squadron P/529 piloted by W/O Savage had made a wheels-up landing on Phuket Island. All passengers and crew were safe and this a/c was able to contact the squadron aircraft over R/T. F/S Woods in A/621 dropped blankets and rations which were safely received. F/L Mundy in H/466 asked if W/O Savage desired to transfer his passengers as a C47 could have landed and taken off safely in that area. The captain preferred to keep his passengers, as amongst them was a MO and other useful bodies. Arrangements with AJRU and ASR have been made, and an attempt will be made as soon as possible. In the meantime rations will be dropped daily by the squadron.

I'm not sure which aircraft is referred to on the 6th June. I've had a quick look at the CWGC and can't identify any casualties, but I've only looked for the 6th June. I've also been unable to confirm the identity of the 96 Squadron aircraft from September.

However, I think the October incident relates to either KG529 or KN529, although I'm not sure which.

Johnnie

Thanks

Hello,

1/ 7th June 1945.

Possibilities:

5-6-1945 *
    No.62 Sqn.
    Dakota KG715
    Crashed 19.45N:93.50E, Burma.

2/ 16th September, 1945.

15-9-1945
    No.96 Sqn.
    Dakota KN615
    Crashed half-a-mile NE of Mingaladon, Rangoon, Burma.

3/ 17th October, 1945.

17-10-1945
    No.267 Sqn
    Dakota III FL529
    Engine cut; bellylanded at Phuket, Thailand.

* No.62 Sqn also lost Dakota FD889 "K" around this time, various sources quote 4-6-1945 or 5-6-1945 (See: Air War For Burma/Shores, p.368).

Note: All subject to revision.

Col.

Thanks

2/ 16th September, 1945.

15-9-1945
    No.96 Sqn.
    Dakota KN615
    Crashed half-a-mile NE of Mingaladon, Rangoon, Burma.
    Could also be
    1945-09-16 96 Sqdn - FL610
    Aircraft ditched in (near?) sea in Bay of Bengal 60m off Burma . (Source: Colin Cummings)

(Note: ORB on NA does not add any details to this month)