Thread: Loss Peter N. Murton-Neale (615 Sqn) - 13 May 1940

Thanks

Default Loss Peter N. Murton-Neale (615 Sqn) - 13 May 1940

Hello,

I am looking for information concerning the loss of the Flying Officer Peter N. Murton-Neale, of No.615 Squadron, on 13 mai 1940. And more generally biographical details concerning him.

The ORB No.615 Squadron provides little information. Only that : "A patrol was ordered in the evening near Namur, form which F/O Murton-Neale did non return".

I found some more details in some books (CORNWELL, Peter D. The Battle of France, Then and Now and CULL, Brian ; LANDER, Bruce ; WEISS, Heinrich. Twelve Days in May.) : Flying Officer Murton-Neale (Hawker Hurricane Mk I L2035) crashed near Courrière. Believed claimed by Leutnant Marchfelder (Stab II./ZG 1).
    Would anyone have more details on this claim and the activity of the Stab II./ZG 1 during this evening of 13 may 1940.

I have, moreover, managed to obtain a copy of Peter N. Murton-Neale - Casualty file (AIR 81/2100). The file includes a report of Pilot Officer John R. Lloyd, which brings some additional details :
    - Murton-Neale Hurricane is indicated as : "P2580" and not L2035. I do not know if it's a mistake or not.
    - Three Hawker Hurricane of No.615 Squadron take off (Squadron leader Joseph R. Kayll, Flying Officer Peter N. Murton-Neale) and a third not identified in the report) from Vitry-en-Artois.
    - Several He.111 were encountered 5 miles west of Huy at 5 000 feet and escaped from the cloud.
    - On emerging from the cloud at 17h45, Murton-Neale was not seen.

Would anybody have any additional details (especially on the German side) about the events that led to the loss of Flying Officer Murton-Neale.

Another question, would anyone have biographical information about this pilot (and ideally a photo of him).
    I know he joined No.615 Squadron, late 1937 but no other details except the list of his flights (mentioned in the ORB) until the tragic event of 13 May 1940.

Thanks in advance,
    Alexis
    Alexis Rousselot.

Thanks

Alexis, Hello

Peter N. Murton-Neale
    Father Alfred Godfrey M(urton?) Neale m. Constance Gordon Q2 1906; Registered Ticehurst Vol 2b Page 236 (Alfred Godfrey M Neale seems to have had some relatives all using 'M' (Murton?) as their 3rd forename?).
    b. Q4 1916. Registered Reigate, Surrey, Vol 2a Page 307 (possibly no siblings).

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 22nd October 2017 at 13:38.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

If you are after the German view of the episode try the 12 O'Clock High forum at http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php , then the Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces section.

Brian

Thanks

Hello Alexis

In 2002 I have done some research since as it is close from where I live.

The number of the aircraft is wellP2580 from form 78.

There is an obituary in the "Surrey Mirror and County Post dated 14 June 1940.

I do have photos of his grave. It is written "To the ever loving memory of

a very dear brave and devoted son and brother.

Best regards

rene

Thanks

Hello,

Hello,

Sorry for my late response, I am not at home and my internet access is very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Alexis, Hello
    Peter N. Murton-Neale
    Father Alfred Godfrey M(urton?) Neale m. Constance Gordon Q2 1906; Registered Ticehurst Vol 2b Page 236 (Alfred Godfrey M Neale seems to have had some relatives all using 'M' (Murton?) as their 3rd forename?).
    b. Q4 1916. Registered Reigate, Surrey, Vol 2a Page 307 (possibly no siblings).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Thank you for this biographical informations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Romainville View Post
    Hello Alexis

In 2002 I have done some research since as it is close from where I live.

The number of the aircraft is wellP2580 from form 78.

There is an obituary in the "Surrey Mirror and County Post dated 14 June 1940.

I do have photos of his grave. It is written "To the ever loving memory of

a very dear brave and devoted son and brother.

Best regards

rene
    Thanks for this information, which seems to confirm the identification of Hawker Hurricane as P2580 and not L2035.

Regards,
    Alexis
    Alexis Rousselot.