Hello All,
I am – for my sins (which are many!) – re-“flying”(on FSX) the West African>Khartoum/Cairo WW2 aircraft resupply route.
I have just struggled(euphemism!) to put my “Baron 58” down at Kano – using “real internet weather” (900m, DUST!), with all the nav/landing aids. I walked away – i.e. it was 'A Good Landing’!
I would like to ask ‘What real nav/landing aids did the crews have when using that route in WW2?
One can rule out PAPPIs (I like them!) – not invented by Farnborough until 1974!
One can, I think, rule out ILS? When were they invented/in-use?
One can, I think, rule out VOR/DME? When were they invented/in-use?
But! I have noticed that a significant number of NDBs on airfields on the route are sited in-line with the main “runway” (or, rolled sand-strip, as it might have been in WW2!). Careful use of an NDB, and a/c radio-compass, could result in a “poor man’s ILS”? Did PanAm install these NDBs, or the Brits/Allies?
Were all (many?) a/c equipped with a radio-compass (or similar) by the time this (and other) reinforcement route(s) was(were) in operation?
I ask because I can “re-fly” the route(s) with reduced nav/airfield aids, just to see how I get on!
Incidentally, the ‘hop’ from Brazil to Ascension caused an “arrival” – ‘on the fumes’ (as they say!) (Makes note to carry extra, clean, underwear!).
TIA
Peter Davies