Thread: Does anyone know what or where Unit IR.S is

Thanks

Default Does anyone know what or where Unit IR.S is

Firstly, many thanks for letting me join.
    I am looking into the RAF service of my uncle, Bernard George Barnard and I am puzzled by this part of his service record

"Discharged from RAFVR [under or order] [flying?] [indecipherable] 652/22 [indecipherable] the Reg Air Force 12/12/46".

"Unit IR.S.; Reason D7E; date of movement 20/12/46"

"Unit Leuchars; Reason D2L; date of movement 11/4/47"

I can find no mention of 'Unit IR.S' on Google or the 'Reasons D7E or D2L'. His old battered suitcase had a Bletchley Park train station sticker on it and I know he worked at GCHQ for a time. Whether this has any relevance I do not know but both my cousin Bern's daughter and I are completely baffled.
    Hopefully someone on here can shed a little light.

Many thanks
    Colin

Thanks

Could it be 1 RS?
    Something like 1 Radio School? (Was there such a unit? No idea)
    Just a thought.
    Ian

Thanks

There was indeed a No 1 Radio School at Cranwell, a possible link to Bletchley then?

Malcolm

Thanks

Many thanks Malcolm and Ian.

No 1 Radio School makes perfect sense. Strange how we missed the blindingly obvious.

Any ideas on the reason codes D7E and D2L?

They are a bit more cryptic

Thanks

Hello Colin

And the answer to 652/22 is under Kings Regs and ACI "...was discharged under KR652 (22) with effect from..." and KR 652 (22) is "Services no longer required. Any other cause not provided for"

KR/ACI = King's Regulations & Air Council Instructions.

cheers

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ColinBarnard View Post
    Firstly, many thanks for letting me join.
    I am looking into the RAF service of my uncle, Bernard George Barnard and I am puzzled by this part of his service record

"Discharged from RAFVR [under or order] [flying?] [indecipherable] 652/22 [indecipherable] the Reg Air Force 12/12/46".

"Unit IR.S.; Reason D7E; date of movement 20/12/46"

"Unit Leuchars; Reason D2L; date of movement 11/4/47"

I can find no mention of 'Unit IR.S' on Google or the 'Reasons D7E or D2L'. His old battered suitcase had a Bletchley Park train station sticker on it and I know he worked at GCHQ for a time. Whether this has any relevance I do not know but both my cousin Bern's daughter and I are completely baffled.
    Hopefully someone on here can shed a little light.

Many thanks
    Colin
    Hello Colin

Is this one of these Service Records where the individual was known to have had a war time service and only the ending of his first Service is being stated and then the record shows him being transferred, in this case to Leuchars.

A lady in Canada whose Father (born Scotland) had a WW 2 Service in the RAE / MAP and Research and Development, has shared her Father's Service Record with me and all his War Time Service is missing and must basically be on another record, but Disclosures claim they can't find it, despite him being discharged under King's Regs in Dec 1945 and an RAE letter reference.

His discharge in Dec 1945 was under the previous Civil Occupation box and another box and then he was taken / retaken on in the RAF as a Trainee Pilot, due to already having Flying experience it states.

It gave me the feeling, he was on secondment from the RAF in WW 2, to the RAE.

Basically the Scotsman's RAF Service Record begins, with a reference date, codes, RAF King's Regs number (implying his Occupation type has ceased in the RAF) and then the start of and his RAF Service and a second discharge due to another (a 2nd) K.R. (when he emigrated).

----------

Now regarding yours, is this a 1 or an I ?

Got a feeling, yours is being discharged from Radio Intelligence? (Intelligence Radio - S)

Any reference having in, or ending ... /Sigs. [Signals], or /Int.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 8th November 2017 at 11:20.