Thread: Special Liaison Units & Ultra 1944-6

Thanks

Default Special Liaison Units & Ultra 1944-6

Hello,

I am new to this thread and uncovering my Grandfather's RAF service record.

He never spoke of the war, other than to say that he was in some sort of intelligence and was with the Americans during the Battle of the Bulge.

His records have him Mustered in May 44 as CLK/GD/CYPHER, and then going to RS (radio school?), before heading off to 8.SLU in July 44.

I believe him to have been part of the Special Liaison Units in the field responsible for transmitting Ultra intelligence from Bletchley Hut 3.

After the war in Europe, he is down as Special Duty List (overseas) with unit 9 SLU, ending up in Sydney in August 45.

Does anyone know anything about these units? I have found reference to them, but not how they were set up, how many men were in each, how long they were embedded etc.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks
    dan.

Thanks

Hello,

A little on SLU 9 and sources:

https://www.ozatwar.com/sigint/1992_jul_cbic.pdf

Scroll down to "Too Much of a Good Thing".

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 2nd November 2017 at 10:52.

Thanks

Very interesting and very helpful. Thanks Col.

Thanks

Dan,
    I have just come across this site while I was researching SLUs 8 and 9. I see that your grandfather served with both units. My father was Arthur Calvert (Sgt.) and he served with the same units. He was also posted to the Pacific in late 1944 and was also in Sydney in, I think, 1945. I wonder if the two of them knew each other. Would you be so kind as to tell me his name as I have a few names that my father recorded. Many thanks, David.