Thread: 24APR44 Munich - Milan diversion

Thanks

Default 24APR44 Munich - Milan diversion

Hello everyone,

Looking at the Munich raid of 24 April 1944 in some detail - when 260ish aircraft, all of 5 Group, attacked Munich via a very long route south via France, Italy and bits of Switzerland.

There were several other operations mounted that night, including a two-pronged attack on Karlsruhe (the 'main event' for the evening) and a bunch of diversions. One of these involved six aircraft from 5 Group that left the Munich stream near Annecy and headed to Milan to simulate the opening of a major raid there (dropping TIs, radio chatter etc, but dropping no bombs).

There's a note in the Night Raid Report that five of the six successfully carried out the task and that "all proceeded safely to advanced bases."

My questions:
    -Which squadron/s provided these six aircraft?
    -Does that "all" include the six that set out, or only the five that successsfully completed the tasking?
    -Where was the advanced base to which they flew, and when did they come home?

I'm sorta guessing that 617 Squadron might have been involved but don't have access to their ORBs to check; this is based on nothing more than a hunch.

Any ideas?

Adam

Thanks

Hi Adam,

http://s310295659.websitehome.co.uk/...recordbook.pdf

Eighteen Lancaster aircraft and four Mosquito aircraft detailed for operations.
    Five special H2S aircraft plus one ordinary Lancaster were detailed to carry out a
    "spoof" attack on Milan, the load consisting of T.I.'s and spotfires. The remainder
    of the Squadron aircraft carried out an attack on Munich, which was successful.
    P/O. Sanders returned early from the Milan raid, with an unserviceable rear turret.
    Weather at base fair becoming cloudy. Fine during evening.
    (The Mosquito markers were not able to get drop tanks
    arranged and fitted and Munich was at the very extreme range
    of the Mosquito. The aircraft flew the raid and returned to
    Manston with less than ten minutes fuel apiece)
    Dave

Thanks

Far out, Dave - eight minutes from question to answer, that's gotta be some sort of record. Thanks very much, that's sufficient detail to carry on with.

There appears no mention of any 'shuttle' or 'advanced' bases though (nor anything about them coming back in the following days); I guess either it wasn't recorded in the ORB for security reasons or it never happened and the Night Raid Report is in error.

Cheers,
    Adam