Thread: Sterling 111 LJ470 28th November 1944 GARDNER, Frederick Ernest Sampson

Thanks

Default Sterling 111 LJ470 28th November 1944 GARDNER, Frederick Ernest Sampson

I am trying to gather information regarding Sterling 111 LJ470 that was lost on the 28th November 1944.

I have found some information from the missing airmen links on this page which states the plane was part of No 1332 HCU, which was last plotted on radar as being off Stornoway but never returned to base during navigation exercise.

The crew where believed to have been

GARDNER, Frederick Ernest Sampson - F/L –

HITCHCOCK, James Alexander – F/S

PALMER, George William - Cpl –

WRIGHT, Eric William - F/S(Flt/Engr) –

BUTTLE, John Edward Charles (1587217) F/S

All crew members apart from Palmer are remembered on the Runnymede Memorial were as Palmer has a grave in the Highgate Cemetery in London Square 130. Grave 43446.

I can find no reference to the aircraft ever being found so I am unsure if it has ever been found or did palmers body wash up?

Sterling 111 LJ470 WP-C has other references, a “Crossbow” operation 4th April 1944.
    Also, logged as having crashed on takeoff on the 30.4.1944 whilst conducting a Special Duty Operations flight.

There is a reference to page 111 Flights of the Forgotten if anyone would happen to have a copy.

Can anyone tell me any further information about this aircraft? Any information would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards
    Brett

Thanks

No info, I'm afraid, but have you tried the Short Stirling & RAF Bomber Command Forum?

Good luck, Pat.

Thanks

Hi Brett,
    According to Stirling Story LJ470 was posted to 90 Sqn on 5/11/43 then to 1332 HCU on 12/5/44. Lost possible icings troubles, forced landed in the Atlantic 60 miles west of Isle of Lewis.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Pat, John,

Thank you both very much. Pat for the heads up and John for the information. Very much appreciated.
    Kindest regards
    Brett

Thanks

Hi Brett,

You may already have this info, but the 90 sqn ORB has WP-C LJ 470 as one of 14 detailed for Special duties on 30.4.44 (one of the 14 being withdrawn before take-off). Flt Sgt A C G Hodges and crew took-off at 2203 hrs and the Stirling came down at 2215: 'This aircraft crashed shortly after take-off. None of the crew were injured.'

A brief look through the preceding weeks shows Hodges had flown the aircraft on a number of operations and it was flying ops on a regular basis.

Hope that's of interest,

Sam