Thread: 88 Sqn RAF Oulton Sept 42 to Apr 43

Thanks

Default 88 Sqn RAF Oulton Sept 42 to Apr 43

Does anyone have information about 88 Sqn at RAF Oulton between 30 Sept 42 and 31 Mar 43? I'm especially interested in personnel during that time, and am aware of James Pelly-Fry, but, would like to find information about Ian Spencer (later Air Vice-Marshal) - if he served at Oulton - and others.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi,

If you would like a copy of the ORB, please let me know.

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default 88 Sqn RAF Oulton Sept 42 to Apr 43

Hi Steve,

That would be great. It will fill in gaps about 88 Sqn's time at Oulton as well as help with Ian Spencer.

Thanks for making contact and the ORB offer.

Ashley

Thanks

Researching my Great Uncle who was a member of 88 Squadron from May 27/42 to Dec 12/42 - hoping I can also get a copy of the ORB. I have copies of his letters, just trying to fill in the blanks. Thank you.

Thanks

My uncle James Anderson Mayne was also with the 88 for part of the time that you're researching. I know they were at Blickling Hall for part of the time ... This is the info that was sent to me from the Oulton Museum:

88 Squadron were at RAF Oulton from 30th September 1942 to 31st March 1943, flying Boston Mk III light bombers. They took part in what, up to that point in the war, was one of the biggest raids on the continent, when they, and other squadrons attacked the Philips factory in Eindhoven, the Netherlands. This factory was producing electronic equipment for Germany and the raid, on 6th December 1942, was very successful in damaging the factory and seriously disrupting production. The attack was particularly planned on that day as it was St. Nicholas’ Day, a public holiday, so very few Dutch people were in the buildings.

Although the airfield is two miles away, most of the personnel were accommodated at Blickling Hall, mainly in temporary buildings in the park, but in the immediate vicinity of the Hall, so it seems that your Great Uncle’s memories were correct

I'm still searching for information ... And will share what I find.

Jo