Sgt Cornelius R.W. (EVD)
    Sgt McCallum J. (EVD)
    Sgt Davies V.W. (EVD)
    Sgt Pearce M.(EVD)
    P/O Lawrence F.N. (EVD)
    Sgt Darvill G.R. (POW) 1388572 4B-250703
    Sgt Warren George R M gunner R/152436 RCAF (KIA) 19 years

Thanks

WARREN, George Richard Marr -RCAF casualty list 3 Oct 43.

Thanks

Default First Name

Hi, my name is Paul Sgt G R Darvill was my father his names are George Richard.

Have a great day.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Alain12 View Post
    Hello ,

Does somebody knows the first names of the crew:
    27/08/1943 Haulchin Belgium
    Halifax II JD-368 - 10Sqn - ZA-A
    Sgt Baker G. (EVD)
    Sgt Cornelius R.W. (EVD)
    Sgt McCallum J. (EVD)
    Sgt Davies V.W. (EVD)
    Sgt Pearce M.(EVD)
    P/O Lawrence F.N. (EVD)
    Sgt Darvill G.R. (POW) 1388572 4B-250703
    Sgt Warren George R M gunner R/152436 RCAF (KIA) 19 years

Thanks

Default Jd-368

Hello gentleman,

Thanks very much for your help.

Alain12
    Belgium

Thanks

There is a website for the Comete evasion Network, and you can find there fiches for evaded airmen.

See http://www.cometeline.org/fiche193.html for Cornelius, from there you will have links to Davies, Baker and Lawrence. All with full names.

Site is in French but in the worst of cases you can use an Internet translator.

Hope it helps

Laurent

Thanks

Default Jd-368

Hello Laurent,

Thanks , why didn't i check this site earlier ?

Regards
    Alain12

Thanks

Hello,

I doubt the accuracy of some entries in this "Comète" website.

It is my private and humble opinion that the webmasters are "absorbing" other escaping lines which were in no way related to "Comète", especially for airmen who came down in France, and had no contact with Belgium.

Any views or comments about some discrepancies / oddities that other forumites may have seen ? Just for my own knowledge.

Joss

Thanks

Hello, Joss,

Do you have precise examples of fiches of this website that seem not related to Comete ?

From my own readings and meetings with former Resistance members, few of them were able to tell during the war to which organization they belonged, except for those that belonged to the Communist party before the war and went underground during it. For the others, they often knew only a few other people (for obvious security reasons) and their link with London was not very clear. Many people belonging to SOE networks for example thought they were working for De Gaulle, who has his own networks in France (also working with SOE).

At the end of the war, this became political matters, as the biggest one organisation had been (or pretended to be) during the war years, the more prestige it will give to its leaders (who often took political roles from local to national levels). Some people then learned they were supposed to have belonged to various networks or groups they had never heard of, but as those who really belonged to these were often in the same case, no one can tell anything.

It seems also to me (from memory) that to be recognised in France as a Resistance member you had to be a member of a network or Maquis unit recognised by the government.

Alain, sorry to hijack a little this thread.

Thanks

Hello Laurent ,

No problem at all .

Alain12

Thanks

Hello,

Laurent, I fully agree with your comments. I live in northern France, so in an area where many planes came down, and the subject of "résistance" (not only the help provided to allied airmen) is sometimes very "touchy". There are true stories, but there is also "rubbish". As you say, upon liberation, all this became very political, and some resistance members confided that in September-October 1944, they were given membership cards to "enrole" as many volunteers they could, because only the most numerous groups would survive and be represented at higher level. I visited last month a 99 years woman who hid two U.S. airmen in 1944, and in the pile of papers she had kept, were such "empty" membership cards. Then you have people with genuine cards who actually did nothing in WW2, or very very little...

My queries relate to other constituted groups, such as "La Voix du Nord", "Pat O'Leary", "OCM" to name a few, which were absolutely distinct from "Comète", and in the website, members of these groups, or evaders who were taken in charge by them, are said to be members of "Comète" or having been helped by it.

There are very few evaders still alive, the evasion reports in Kew accessible to the public are not detailed enough (no name given), and as you say, in very few cases only, they knew the name of the escaping line they went through, at least at the time. And many members of these escaping lines only had a very limited knowledge, for obvious security reasons, as you put it.

I should have a look again in the website to give you some fiche which I find odd. I'll do that when time will permit

Joss