Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF 72 wing ,bsu chigwell and more ( WW2)

Thanks

Default RAF 72 wing ,bsu chigwell and more ( WW2)

Hello

Hopeing some one can help me, ive recently got my grandads RAF record back and he mainly specalised in radar and ive looked up most places he has been my self but need a little clarifications on some parts.

can any one tell me anything about the following

RAF 72wing
    BSU chigwell ( i just dont know what BSU is )
    Thames PS (what is PS)
    unit 15/20 86group ( some one said to me it could be AMES but wouldnt it say AMES on the record)
    34mv (could it be 34mu cant find any thing on mv)
    any other info on renscombe down radar station in dorset

anying thing appriciated
    rgds
    katie H

Thanks

Is this the same airman http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ns-help-please

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 4th December 2017 at 08:05.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT View Post
    Is this the same airman http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ns-help-please

Regards

Pete
    hi Pete not it's not the same air man it just seems they have similar records can you help me ?

Thanks

Hi Katie

As I said in the previous thread referred to by Pete, BSU was Base Signals Unit.

I take it the entries on your grandfather's records are hand written and from experience of looking at nearly 100 records I know these can be difficult to decipher.

15/20 will probably be 15120 AMES (it might not say AMES, depending on the clerk entering the info) which was a mobile GCI (Ground Controlled Interception) unit. Both Renscombe Down and Chigwell (BSU) were used as locations for radar/signals units to form up prior to moving to an operational base.

There was no 86 Group, so I suggest that should read 85 Group, to which 15120 AMES belonged.

I agree 34 MV is probably supposed to be MU

72 Wing controlled AMES and Signals units on the Continent from September 1944, what date was he with it? If he was with it before May 1944, then he would have been working on radar units in the North of England and Southern Scotland (Tees to Firth)

Malcolm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    Hi Katie

As I said in the previous thread referred to by Pete, BSU was Base Signals Unit.

I take it the entries on your grandfather's records are hand written and from experience of looking at nearly 100 records I know these can be difficult to decipher.

15/20 will probably be 15120 AMES (it might not say AMES, depending on the clerk entering the info) which was a mobile GCI (Ground Controlled Interception) unit. Both Renscombe Down and Chigwell (BSU) were used as locations for radar/signals units to form up prior to moving to an operational base.

There was no 86 Group, so I suggest that should read 85 Group, to which 15120 AMES belonged.

I agree 34 MV is probably supposed to be MU

72 Wing controlled AMES and Signals units on the Continent from September 1944, what date was he with it? If he was with it before May 1944, then he would have been working on radar units in the North of England and Southern Scotland (Tees to Firth)

Malcolm

hi Malcolm
    thank you for that. I will let you know that dates of 72 wing when I get home from work this evening. it looks a little like 85 group but I assumed it was 86group. can i look up 85 group and get some info? and yes the his entries are hand written apart from the top 2 which are typed in 2rc and 11 rc which are both worked out :))

i can't find much info on maintenance units.

Katie

Thanks

Malcom

looks like 7/4/1945 this is the date there is also a F in the collum marked reason and one beneath that when he was at Thame PS there is an F also. ive read this denotes them being overseas
    do you know what thames ps is ?

KAtie

Thanks

Hi Katie

This is only the second time I've seen reference to Thames PS but wonder if it could be a short for Thames Port Squadron and is of the units set up in the South East to combat the V-1 attacks in 1944.

Officially these units included 994, 995, 996, 997, 998 and 999 (Balloon) Sqns but one of them could have been referred to as Thames PS as a number of them operated along the Thames.

A radio mechanic could well have been needed at such a unit to maintain the unit's wireless/radio equipment. Balloon Command had a specific unit just for that purpose until 1944.

'F' means Field Force, which would imply being part of an expeditionary force overseas, but in the case of No 85 Group, which was part of the expeditionary force, many of there units remained in the UK until late into 1944.

Malcolm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    Hi Katie

This is only the second time I've seen reference to Thames PS but wonder if it could be a short for Thames Port Squadron and is of the units set up in the South East to combat the V-1 attacks in 1944.

Officially these units included 994, 995, 996, 997, 998 and 999 (Balloon) Sqns but one of them could have been referred to as Thames PS as a number of them operated along the Thames.

A radio mechanic could well have been needed at such a unit to maintain the unit's wireless/radio equipment. Balloon Command had a specific unit just for that purpose until 1944.

'F' means Field Force, which would imply being part of an expeditionary force overseas, but in the case of No 85 Group, which was part of the expeditionary force, many of there units remained in the UK until late into 1944.

Malcolm

There is a F in the colloum for 72 wing also would you like me to send you a copy of his record to your private email ?
    Last edited by katiehiscock; 5th December 2017 at 19:08.

Thanks

so because it was after 1944 grandad could of been in france with 72 wing

Thanks

Hi Katie

By all means send me a copy of his records, I'm working on another set at the moment belonging to a Signals officer.

Malcolm