Thread: Tracing an RAF Service Number

Thanks

Default Tracing an RAF Service Number

I am investigating a member of the RAF in World War 2. I have his full name and service number George Edward Pyne Mobbs 1802225. Is there any way I can track this number to the date and place of issue and where this man served.

Thanks

archivist, Hi,

1802225 is in the Number Block 1800001-1814800. It would probably have been issued to civilians Enlisting "off the streets" - as they say! It was in the RAFVR, and was issued to those Attesting at Euston. It started to be issued on 1 Dec 1941. It possibly finished being issued on 31 Dec 1942. If that block was issued regularly over that period of time then 1802225 would have been issued somewhere around late-Jan/early-Feb 1942.
    That calculation is very experimental - but maybe better than nothing?
    As to where he served then you will need to get his Service Record. That will tell you (mostly!) where and when. It should (but not always!) be possible, therefore, to work out what he was doing
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi,

1802334 enlisted 2/2/1942 !

Mark

Thanks

Thank you for that information Mark

Thanks

Thanks Peter,

Mark's post shows that your calculation is on the button and he was recruited at Euston but his records show virtually nothing of his training or his service locations. His form 3905 was apparently not saved so there is very little in his remaining record.

One item that is listed is No 7 Radio School but no location is given and I am struggling to find it
    Last edited by archivist; 5th December 2017 at 23:30.

Thanks

archivist,

The formula actually coughed up Thu 29 Jan 42!! But I’ve had a number that were quite a way out, so I give a broader date range if I go into print!

Yr man G E P Mobbs lived with his widowed mother at 20 Perrymead Street, Fulham (it’s still there!) in the 1939 Registration (so he was a ‘local lad’!). He is described as a “Telephone Fitter, Skilled Workman, Post Office Engineering Dept”.

7 Radio School [FT&SU>1912] formed 1 Jan 43 (from 7 Signals School) at Albert Court, Prince Consort Rd, S Ken (next to the Albert Hall). Disbanded 1 Aug 44. It trained ground radio operators. A tiny bell is ringing at the back of my mind that this might have been one of the radio schools that prospective ‘spooks’ and ‘agents’ went to – but the experts will correct me! Such folk would have had to know how to repair their kit if it went u/s!

If he was there for any length of time he might even have been allowed to “Live Out” (if that had been invented at that stage?!!) as his home was relatively nearby.

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter,

Your explanation explains quite a bit, but raises even more questions! He was initially listed for pilot/navigator training but was released and sent to 7 Radio School which seems to fit with your "spooks" idea. Having been a trained telephone engineer, he would be an ideal candidate for the radio maintenance and having been identified as a potential pilot/navigator he would have the intelligence for the clandestine stuff. It might also explain why so much of his file is "missing" - none of his postings are there but his 1946 discharge is.