Thread: Flight plan Oakington - Kiel 19/20 Aug 1941

Thanks

Default Flight plan Oakington - Kiel 19/20 Aug 1941

I am researching a family friend, Sgt Jack Bainbridge Wireless Operator 101 Sqd Oakington
    who with the rest of the crew was lost without trace in Wellington MK 1C (W5715) on a raid to Kiel on 19/20 August 1941.
    Does anyone have details of the 101 Sqd ORB for that night?
    What would have been the flight plan for the journey Oakington - Kiel - Oakington?
    On that night there were 2 Luftwaffe night fighter claims possibly for Wellingtons raiding Kiel:
    Fw. Siegfried Ney 4./NJG 1 Wellington 15 km. N. Huizen 3.000 m. @ 02.07 was this W5715? W5715 took off from Oakington @ 20.49
    Ofw. Gerhard Herzog 2./NJG 1 Wellington @ 02.23 (near Hojer Sluse off Denmark?) was this WR1455 WS-D 9 Sqdn (Honington)
    Based on the times, were the Wellingtons inbound to Kiel or returning?
    Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

JDA, Hi,
    Oakington>Keil>Oakington is about 765 nautical miles as the crow flies. Say, for sake of argument, 800 nm. The Wimpey cruise speed was around 200 knots. Thus, the trip duration should have been around 4 hours. It is unlikely that there were any strong winds at track height on that night. The return leg from Keil to Oakington would have been planned, I suspect, so as to avoid known flak and/or night-fighters. This is putting more money on the Danish coast location than Huizen!!
    But to solve the outbound/inbound problem you will need to reduce your quoted times to a common standard (I'm no expert on those, but there are those on this Forum who are!). The UK times may have been UK Summer Time (or even Double British Summer Time) whilst the Luftwaffe times are more likely to have been in Central European Time (CET). T/o 2100, shot down 0200+(-ish) means airborne for 5+ hrs on a nominal 4 hr trip - it don't compute!! By 0200 (UK) those that got back should have been in debreifing with a fag and pint of tea!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

hello,

JDA, do you have the 'loss card' for Wellington W5715 ? If not, you really must start with that. You can ask for a copy at the department of research, RAF Museum Hendon (easy to find through their website). This should give you some details, but in the early years of WW2, the 'loss cards' were not as detailed as in the latter part.

The route flown might be found in the Squadron ORB, and more likely in the appendices section.

Another source for the route is the Group ORB appendice, also to be found at Kew.

Hope this helps

Joss

Thanks

Thanks, will check on my next visit to London.
    Any"expert" able to clarify UK time & corresponding time in Germany?

Eddie Fell Guest

No expert, but on the date in question the UK was on British Summer Time which was one hour ahead of GMT

Eddie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JDA View Post
    I am researching a family friend, Sgt Jack Bainbridge Wireless Operator 101 Sqd Oakington
    who with the rest of the crew was lost without trace in Wellington MK 1C (W5715) on a raid to Kiel on 19/20 August 1941.
    Does anyone have details of the 101 Sqd ORB for that night?
    What would have been the flight plan for the journey Oakington - Kiel - Oakington?
    On that night there were 2 Luftwaffe night fighter claims possibly for Wellingtons raiding Kiel:
    Fw. Siegfried Ney 4./NJG 1 Wellington 15 km. N. Huizen 3.000 m. @ 02.07 was this W5715? W5715 took off from Oakington @ 20.49
    Ofw. Gerhard Herzog 2./NJG 1 Wellington @ 02.23 (near Hojer Sluse off Denmark?) was this WR1455 WS-D 9 Sqdn (Honington)
    Based on the times, were the Wellingtons inbound to Kiel or returning?
    Any help would be most appreciated.
    I have the ORB and the 3 Group op's Recod Book for this night, if you can wait until the weekend I will post the details then.

Kind regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

On 19/20 August 1941 was Central European Time equal to GMT+2 or GMT+1?

Chris Shackleton Guest

BST = CET therefore they were both on GMT+1

Unfortunately the night fighter claims you have listed I have down for 18/19.08.41, i.e. the night before - see Tony Woods site.

The only claim on 19/20.08.41 was a Blenheim that fell to an intruder over Lincolnshire

Chris