Thread: Vince Max Pietersen (Danish), RAF Lindholme, ca 1942

Thanks

Default Vince Max Pietersen (Danish), RAF Lindholme, ca 1942

I am looking in to a request posted at the www.rafweb.org a couple of years back about a possible Danish airman at R.A.F. Station Lindholme ca. 1942. The request is as follows:

"Request 136. Posted 7 December 2004

PLEASE ,does anyone remember a Danish airman,
    Vince Maxpieterson, stationed at R.A.F Lindholme
    around 1942,he was friendly with my brother and
    spent many happy hours at our home.---
    We had a Christmas card from him 1942,
    I was 9 at the time and we often wondered what happened to him."

I have been unable to find anything on the man, even with a number of possible combinations of names; the name stated does not exactly come across as Danish as would Peterson / Petersen / Pederson / Pedersen. Maxpieterson in one name would be remarkable.

As he writes a Christmas card in 1942, I guess that the many hours he spent at the family home was before this time, and that he may have been posted elsewhere since then. This could indicate No. 50 Sqn., 408 Sqn. or 1656 HCU, but then again he could have been posted at the RAF Station itself.

If anyone would be able to provide further information, I would be grateful.

Regards,
    Mikkel Plannthin
    Last edited by Mikkel Plannthin; 16th July 2008 at 06:13.
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel
    Where did the idea of Denmark arise? The name Pieterson could be Afrikaans as in the current S African born cricketer who plays for England, Kevin Pieterson. If the family were told Denmark or he carried the Denmark shoulder flash then my question is irrelevant, but as you seem to have some difficulty yourself in tying down the name it might be worth following up.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Dick,
    Thank you for replying. The idea is not mine, but the person who posted the original request. I do agree that the name in itself does not support the theory of the airman being Danish.

Actually, if danish, it would have been more natural to spell the name "ei" than "ie" and with a "sen" instead og "son" - as I mistakenly did in the title of the thread.

The problem is, that since then the request has been moved from the site, and I have no contact information for the family.

Regards,
    Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War