Thread: F/Sgt FORLAND Olaf 426Sqn Evader

Thanks

Default F/Sgt FORLAND Olaf 426Sqn Evader

F/Sgt FORLAND Olaf (R.84207 or 84208 ?) jumped as his Wellington Mk.X / HE905 / WO-V / 426Sqn was serioulsy damaged by Flak.

The aircraft crashed in the triangle Spa - Eupen - Malmedy. Up to now, I did not find the exact crash location.

No idea were Forland landed but he evaded.

Up to know, I know he evaded and he was back in the UK on 14jul1943.

Does somebody know which escape line took care of him ?

I already checked for the Comet Line but not this one apparently.

Thank you !

Thanks

As a start point:

This from Conscript-Heroes site:

F/Sgt Olaf W Forland RCAF, 426 Sqn Wellington HE905, FTR Duisburg May 43 - Pyrenees from St Jean de Luz June 43

This from RAF Evaders Book by Oliver Clutton-Brock:

France, Spain, Gibraltar, flown to Whitchurch after spending a week aboard TSS Samaria in Gibraltar Harbour

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hello,

Clutton-Brock's "RAF Evaders" confirms service number as R84207.

Full name was Olaf William Forland of Brantford, Ontario.

Evasion report at Kew: WO208 3314 1300

Dave

Thanks

Thanks Dave & Pete !
    Just wondering now which escape line took care of him ?
    The escape route thru Saint-Jean-de-Luz was the one of Comet (too). They have a complete list of the crew but no Forland. Probably another escape line then ?

Thanks

Hello,

Take a look at this:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...eng_Part16.pdf

See:pp.29-31(pdf), or pp.671-3 (book).

Col.

Thanks

Some details on ancestry. I'll try to cut and paste later
    https://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/str...estor%20Report

Olaf William Forland, son of Ullmann Förland and Rose Ann Duggan, was born on 06 Sep 1916 in Brantford, Brant County, Ontario. He died on 03 Sep 2005 in Victoria, BC. He married Anna Sylvia Brady about 1944. She was born on 24 Jul 1916 in Ottawa, Carleton County, Ontario. She died on 02 Jun 2002 in Victoria, BC.
    Olaf William Forland lived in 16 Webling, Brantford, Brant County, Ontario in 19211. He was buried in Royal Oak Burial Park, Saanich, BC. He served in the military (R.C.A.F. Rear Gunner in WWII).
    Notes for Olaf William Forland:
    Death Notes: His obituary published 9 Sept 2005 in the Times Colonist reads as follows: "FORLAND, Olaf W (Joe) - Dad passed away peacefully on September 3rd, 2005 at the Oak Bay Lodge just three days before his 89th Birthday. He was predeceased by his wife Sylvia in June 2002 and daughter Carol in June of 2000. He is survived by his son Wayne (Myrna) and daughter Pat. Papa will be missed by his seven grandchildren and one great grandson. Thank you to the staff of the Oak Bay Lodge for making it Dad's home. Also very special thanks to the Nurses on two Maple for their wonderful care. No service. Private family remembrance".
    Military Service Notes: An article published 8 September 1943 in the Globe and Mail reads as follows: "Brant Airman Made Escape From Germany - Rubbed Shoulders With Nazis in Grim, 2-Month Journey to Gibraltar - Brantford, Sept. 7 (Special) - Flt. Sgt. Olaf Forland, R.C.A.F., who escaped Germany and on the way to safety rubbed shoulders with Nazis in a two-month trek to Gibraltar, is back home here.
    Forland, a gunner, bailed out of a bomber on a big night raid on the Ruhr Valley and landed in a swamp. He had a terrifying experience when one foot caught in his gun turret and he hung there as the plane headed for the ground. It had dropped from 18,000 to 5,000 feet before he got away from the plane by pulling the rip cord of his chute. The pilot chute struck him in the face and gave him a black eye, Forland said. When the big chute opened and dragged him from the plane, the force was such that it injured his leg and broke one of the straps of the chute about his shoulders. "I hung on to the other strap with both hands," Forland said. Uneven pull on the chute caused it to 'tuck in' on one side and he went down faster than is usual. He landed in a swamp and sunk practically to his knees.
    Long in Swamp
    "It was dark and I had no idea where I was except that I was in Germany," Forland said. "For two nights and two days I walked through that swamp and woods with hardly anything to eat and about five hours sleep. I intended to escape, I wanted none of the Nazi prison camps. When I got too hungry I came out into the open and decided to tak a chance on whoever I came across. I found a farmer working in a field. I walked up to him. He was friendly. I made him understand what I wanted. He took me in and fed me."
    Forland was unable to state how long he hid with the family. When the time was ripe he was passed on to other hands. He wore two or three different disguises before he reached Gibraltar. All of his benefactors, he said, wanted to know when the invasion was coming. "They were eager for it. I told them they would see Tommies and Canadians by Christmas. I still think they will."
    Hounded by Gestapo
    Twice Forland narrowly escaped capture by the Gestapo. He said his aides had 'a hell of a lot of nerve to risk their lives for a lone Canadian airman. If we were caught it meant they would be lined up against the wall and I would go to a prison camp. Their risk was greater than mine."
    Forland said he ate in restaurants where Nazi soldiers were eating. "I bumped into them on the streets," he declared. "I have seen," he said, "trainloads of forced French lavor on the way to
    Ancestors of Olaf William Forland
    Generation 1
    y
    Germany. A grimmer lot of people I never saw. It was a tragic sight."
    In the entire two months he never opened his mouth except to speak to the people aiding him. He never spoke in public. "If I had ever been questioned that would have been the end," he said. "The Nazis are always on the prowl looking for forced labor or escapees

Regards,
    Ann
    Last edited by Ann Sadler; 31st December 2017 at 11:14.

Thanks

Forland's K Report doesn't cover his escape but contains the following detail concerning the loss:

"The trip was uneventful until the target had been bombed. The aircraft left the target area at 17-18,000 feet making continuous changes of height and course. A large volume of gunfire was being put up in the area, but there was no evidence that any was being directed specially against this aircraft. One searchlight flicked over it but passed on to hold another aircraft.
    A further aircraft, believed Halifax, was seen about 200 feet to starboard and 200 feet above, apparently on a parallel course and the Wellington was making a turn to port in order to increase the distance when it shuddered and began to lose height quickly.
    Thereafter the rear-gunners story is based mainly on fragments heard over the intercom. It appeared the the aircraft had been struck in many places from what was presumed to b a burst of heavy flak underneath it. The immediate results were (i) The second pilot was struck in the head and killed as he stood looking through the astrodome. (ii) A rapid losss of fuel from port rear fuel tank, was indicated by the gauge reading. (iii) There was extensive damage to the fabric at the front part of the aircraft, specially round the Wireless operator's and Bomb-aimer's positions. (iv) The port aileron became u/s. (v) The hydraulic line to the rear turret was damaged.
    The captain warned the crew that they must prepare to bale out, but that he was making an endeavour to get away from German territory. The main anxiety was apparently lack of fuel; it is probable that damage was done t fuel lines as well as to tanks as the navigator was understood to be making unsuccessful attempts to transfer the demand of the starboard engine to the damage port tanks by opening the suction balance-cock and to be having difficulty with leaks.
    The aircraft was losing height all the time and by the time Belgium was reached was down to 5,000 feet. The port engine then cut; cause unknown but was thought to be shortage of fuel. The captain, knowing that he could not keep the aircraft trimmed for long in its damaged state on one engine ordered the crew to bale out.
    The hydraulics to the rear-turret had failed before this but the gunner had worked the turret round by hand and left on receiving the order to go. One of his flying boots caught on a projection in the base of the turret and he was held by it. He pulled his rip-cord and the parachute pulled him clear and although one strap broke he made a good landing in the Eupen-Malmedy region of Belgium. This was far south of the briefed route home and it seems that the pilot had known that the damage was too great for him to reach based and had tried to reach some chosen area before abandoning the aircraft.
    F/Sgt Forland saw one other parachute when going down, but there after saw noting of the remainder of the crew of the aircraft. He later heard that all other members of the crew were captured.

Some days after landing, probably during the operation of May 29/30 on Wuppertal, F/Sgt Forland saw a four engined aircraft engaged by heavy flak near Malmedy. One engine went on fire and the aircraft rapidly lost height and finally exploded in the air at about 5,000 feet."

regards
    Daz

Thanks

Thank you for your replies ! I have more info to start my researches now...