Thread: Unknown B-24 wreck Wessex England {Costal Command}

Thanks

Default Unknown B-24 wreck Wessex England {Costal Command}

Please see link to B-24 wreck at sea off Wessex
    http://blogs.wessexarch.co.uk/aircra...rom-the-sea-2/

Film of wreck on YouTube https://forum.axishistory.com/viewto...f=113&t=232296

Now the US Army Air Corps B-24 were based in Norffolk, and Suffolk far too way to the East {unless it was a abonded aircraft {!}

The RAF Costal Command also had B-24 units could this have been a No.547 Squadron RAF ? It was generaly in the southern part of England
    Should anyone have ideas of what unit this wreck belonged to..I would urge them to contact the website above with identification..along with any RAF Historical reseachers forums etc

Thanks

There is a possible USAAF identity that I sent to Wessex Arch due to my involvement in the Scoping Survey - but as with all unknown it remains as a possible identity so has not been attached to the blog post.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_McNeill View Post
    There is a possible USAAF identity that I sent to Wessex Arch due to my involvement in the Scoping Survey - but as with all unknown it remains as a possible identity so has not been attached to the blog post.

Ross
    Thanks---can you post it here? There are various B-24 squadron associations which could be helpful in pinning the circumstances of the wreck down...perhaps you've helped solved this mystery after all. also before I forget if this a "War Grave" sugguest you get in touch with DPAA

https://dpaa.secure.force.com/dpaaReportASite

and
    http://www.dpaa.mil/Contact/Contact-Us/
    Last edited by Noomannn; 20th December 2017 at 14:55. Reason: add links

Thanks

As Wessex Arch has a commercial agreement with English Heritage for publication of both the Scoping Report and any subsequent correspondence generated I defer to their action of not making public my response.

The "War grave" term and DPAA direction you suggest is out of jurisdiction and is covered by British law for this loss as a Protected Place under the Protection of Military Remains Act which places the administration of USA interests and duty of action with the Ministry of Defence.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross,
    Excellent!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello,
    Just to say that there were over 20 B24's reportedly down in the English Channel and 40 or so reportedly in the North Sea.
    This may not be accurate as at least one B17 reported as down in the North Sea was in fact down on a beach in West Cornwall, neither the English Channel or North Sea, but then these reports were made by the Americans ;)
    Alex