Thread: Another AIR 78 Request for Help

Thanks

Default Another AIR 78 Request for Help

Hello All,

Can somebody, with the right bit of AIR 78, please look up Basil Browne (with an 'e') for his Service Number. There should be only one of them (hopefully!)? He was a lucky, lucky, lad! He was the MAO in a USAAF B-17 returning from a truncated Met Recce. On Xmas morning 43 they were returning, low-level, to Cheddington from St Eval (plot it on GE). They entered cloud near Dartmoor. Unfortunately, this one had a "hard centre". 7 USAAF killed, but Pilot, Co-, and MAO were ejected through Perspex and survived with surprisingly minor injuries. He was back on flying duties with 517 Sqn within a few months!

TIA

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello,

Whilst your'e waiting - http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/6792 - they have dropped the "E"!

Col.

Thanks

Hi Peter,

BROWNE

Basil 1594014

Basil Bertram 902355
    Basil Cyril 1464174
    Basil Douglas 1469279
    Basil Richmond 1523269

Regards

Mojmir

Thanks

Col,
    Tks for that. You can have no idea of the internal, mental, discipline required NOT to wrench "the wheel hard over" when just about to collide (in perfect weather!!!) with the 'hard stuff' in an FSX re-creation of these "flying into the mountain" accidents. I have several that I'm dealing with. And so far - using the known facts - I 'fly' the mission (in an equivalent speed/height a/c). I 'freeze' the flight at impact, and then look at all the recorded parameters on FSX. The results are, currently, encouraging. BUT - you will not be surprised to learn - those results ask more questions than they answer!!
    T'was ever thus! The 'plus side' is that it keeps us off the streets - and may, possibly, discover something of relative importance (I should be so lucky!!).
    Rgds - and Season's Greetings
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 23rd December 2017 at 16:17. Reason: QSD

Thanks

Mojmir,
    VMT! Appreciate yr time/effort!
    I knew it wasn't going to be easy! I'll check those numbers against possible Enlistment dates and likely Ages, etc.
    But later.
    My Domestic Operational Controller (i.e. wife) is making noises from the Ops Room (i.e. kitchen) up to the Comcen (i.e my 'den').
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello All,
    Working on the assumption (tsk tsk!) that he was Basil Browne – with no additional Forenames – then he is 1594014. Additionally, I have 3 other Sgt MAOs (all, unfortunately, on the RoH) 1587614, 1592320, and 1592565 in the same Number Block (1585001-1600000). The MAOs would probably(!) have been Enlisted in batches to fill the places on the various training courses they had to do!
    A lot of assumptions, but we will use that until such time as there is evidence to the contrary. Tks all!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies