Thread: Aviation & Coastal Navigation Aids in, and post-, WW2

Thanks

Default Aviation & Coastal Navigation Aids in, and post-, WW2

Hello All,

Several questions – as a result of my not being able to force Mr Google to tell me. They are all connected with re-visitations - and/or modern reconstructions - of the events leading to various casualties occurring on the Met Office RoH.

1 When WW2 broke out were all the aviation NDBs (in UK) switched off, and replaced by visual identifiers (airfield Pundits, aerial lighthouses, etc)? And when were the NDBs switched back on post-WW2?

2 Were the coastal marine lighthouses permanently switched off? Or only switched off when enemy activity was known to be occurring in the area?

3 I have read that there was a system, involving searchlights on, or near, airfields, called SANDRA. Does anybody know what she did?

TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Happy New Year's Peter,

http://www.rafharrowbeer.co.uk/about.htm

SANDRA LIGHTS

This system comprised three search lights positioned around an airfield which could be directed skywards to form a cone. In the case of low cloud-base a glow could be seen from above.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Dave,
    Mni tks yr prompt response re SANDRA!
    Tks yr NY greetings - they are returned!
    Hope yr "wing" now fully functional!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

An example of Sandra in use at Harrowbeer [from No. 35 Squadron's ORB]:

The aircraft was “homed” by searchlights and after further difficulties reached the aerodrome at Harrowbeer, the flare path of which was extremely feeble. The Captain landed the aircraft halfway along a runway, 1100 feet in length; the aircraft overshot, the undercarriage collapsed in rough ground where the aircraft came to rest, no casualties occurring.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Pete,

Tks for that. The "flarepath" at Harrowbeer would, I presume, have been paraffin goosenecks? (not much use in a wind over 10kts?)

We are trying to find out what a "projector platform" did. There was one at Port Etienne when the RAF were there. Perhaps something has got lost 'in the translation' from a French map (both by Google, and a French citizen who has puzzled his brains for us!).

There was an aerial lighthouse at El Adem in the mid-50s. It was a revolving contraption with one large bulb. It had two horizontally opposed lenses - one white, one green. When switched on it revolved at about 6 rpm(?). Thus - from a distance - it 'flashed' alternate white/green every whatever seconds. You could see it from miles away, at night, in a lumbering Beverley (done it). There was supposed to have been ones at Benina and Idris. These airfields were built (inland, and beyond the range of the then naval gunfire range) to defend the major ports (Tobruk, Benghazi, Tripoli) during the Italian colonisation period. Whether the one at El Adem, when I was there, was the original - or whether the RAF installed it when they re-built the ATC twr, post-WW2, I know not. Certainly no visiting aircrew (of various nationalities) expressed any surprise that we (at El Adem) had an aerial lighthouse. They were, apparently, commonplace in them parts, and at that time.

Tks again,

Peter Davies