Thread: RAF Ferry Command, Appendices

Thanks

Default RAF Ferry Command, Appendices

Hello,

I'm curious about this collection and was wondering if anyone has ever reviewed same and can provide an estimated page count. Also, what exactly is meant by "appendices" as defined here? I'm used to reviewing mostly RCAF and USAAF documents and I can't recall the term surfacing to describe collections; hence my question.

AIR 29/467
    Description: RAF Ferry Command Gander Unit (Newfoundland Canada), later 83 Staging Post (appendices including a station plan).

Tks,

Darrell

Thanks

Hello Darrell,
    The ORBs are deemed to be the Forms 540 and 541 filled in as a daily record of the squadron: any supplementary documents, orders, correspondence, photos, maps or lunch menus attached to the record are called 'appendices'. I'm afraid the contents vary considerably, as you can imagine, and the only way to find out what is in an appendix is either to have a look or find someone who has already had a look. Possibly you will be lucky and someone has kindly added a useful comment as a 'tag' to the individual file that interests you. The tag is viewed by following a link found near the bottom of the page describing the file, see this page for example ...

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ails/r/C509316

... and you will see that you have the option of signing in to see any tags. (Tags are left by members of the public as aides to future readers and are not official but are quite useful when present.)

Having told you about tags, don't get your hopes up: most files don't have them but it is worth a look.

Hope this helps,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Thanks for this Bruce. Much appreciated.

Darrell