Thread: All at sea with these names, marine section of the MAEE during WW11

Thanks

Default All at sea with these names, marine section of the MAEE during WW11

I have surnames of men who served with the RAF marine section, Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment at Helensburgh during WW11 but no information on any of them. I wonder if the forum can help? The man in charge was Warrant Officer Riches, his number two was Flt.Sgt. Wilson. Others included Corporals (Cox) Muir Ramsey, McMillan, Steady, Garstange and Curry. LAC Read and Haynes. Any information about them or the marine section at RAF Helensburgh will be appreciated.

Thanks

Robin,
    Have you done the AIR 78 searches? Some of those Surnames are not too common? You might get some (or at least a short-ish list) of Forenames?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

thank you Peter, will do

Thanks

None of my men found on 'air search' Little seems to be known about the marine section MAEE formed in 1942 to concentrate on air sea rescue trials. There are some reports of dinghy, anchor and mooring trials at Kew. One photograph shows a dinghy trial on the Gareloch with the hangars in the far distant background but hope to find better closer shots of the hangars and slipway. I recently obtained the MAEE names posted, hence my renewed interest in the subject. There was a note that the marine section was involved in bomb trials on Loch Lomond using seaplane tender ST 384 and the evaluation of a Pemberton Billing, a prototype high speed MTB. My research is part of a history of the MAEE at RAF Helensburgh and stories regularly appear on the Helensburgh Heritage Trust web site in its military section.

Thanks

98 old Eric Haynes has by chance contacted me about his time with the MAEE marine section, RAF Helensburgh. He confirmed Warrant Officer Ritchie was the commanding officer of the marine section and confirmed that sea plane tender ST384 was used during trials of the model jet seaplane.