Thread: Halifax DG341

Thanks

Default Halifax DG341

Can anyone give me details of which squadron(s) this aircraft was in service with?
    TIA

Bob

Thanks

Hi Bob
    Air Britain Serials DA100-DZ999, only gives one Unit for this a/c, 1664 HCU. They record it as ending it's service on 27.6.43,at Croft, when it swung on landing and the undercarriage collapsed.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Many thanks Dick.
    I have been asked to reseach a chap from 161 Sqdn and and many of the entries in his "log" are are somewhat dubious. He has DG341 operational on 161 in Feb 43 and on the 16th it is supposed to have crashed, at Tempsford, and burnt out. A real puzzler this one!

Thanks

Hi Bob
    I think this has been discussed before. The scenario is not impossible as the a/c could have been repaired after Tempsford in the Feb and gone to the HCU. The problems are ,of course, the report that it "burnt out" and the absence of any reference in Air Britain Serials to any previous owners, and I don't know how regular it would have been for a Halifax to have gone straight to a Training unit with no Sqn service first. The Air Britain "one owner" could be a mistake or an imperfect record from which they took the data, and the belief that it was destroyed in Feb could have come from over reaction at the time. If someone has access to a/c movement cards or the accident reports it might help to clear the fog!!
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Having looked through 161's ORB I cannot see DG341 and there is no crash at Tempsford on or around that date. Nearest I can find is DG271 which is shown as crasing at Tangmere after swinging on take off. The problem with DG341 is only one of several that I have found in this "log". For instance there are several entries re bombing Op's - there is no mention in the ORB and Bomber Command War Diaries do not have anything remotely akin to the entries.