Thread: Chemnitz February 14th 1945 Master Bomber

Thanks

Default Chemnitz February 14th 1945 Master Bomber

Hi,

Following on from Dresden, Bomber command attacked Chemnitz the following night. I am trying to identify the Master / Deputy bombers on this raid.

TIA

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

The Master Bomber on the first attack on Chemnitz was Capt. Ted Swales VC DFC SAAF who was killed 9 days later acting as MB at Pforzheim for which he was awarded the VC. Deputy was F/L MJ Finlay. Both were 582 Squadron. 405 Squadron supplied the Master Bomber F/L DA McNaughton and Deputy S/L HF Marcou for the second attack.
    Last edited by David Wallace; 21st January 2018 at 21:57.

Thanks

Hi David,

Thank you, away from books did not realise it was over two phases. The second attack, what squadrons did the M/B and D/M/B operate with?

Thanks again
    Steve

Thanks

Steve - I don’t know what squadrons made up the main force on the second attack, just that the PFF sent 35 Lancasters and the Master and Deputy were from 405 Squadron,

Thanks

Default Re: Chemnitz February 14th 1945 Master Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by David Wallace View Post
    The Master Bomber on the first attack on Chemnitz was Capt. Ted Swales VC DFC SAAF who was killed 9 days later acting as MB at Pforzheim for which he was awarded the VC. Deputy was F/L MJ Finlay. Both were 582 Squadron. 405 Squadron supplied the Master Bomber F/L DA McNaughton and Deputy S/L HF Marcou for the second attack.
    Dave: I’ve just bumped into this now. Not certain why I missed this when it was posted. I have Group Captain (G/C) Bill Newson, DSO, DFC and bar of RCAF 405 Squadron as the Master Bomber assigned for the raid to Chemnitz on March 5/6, 1945 and his deputy was Flying Officer (F/O) Dix, also of 405 Squadron.

(405 Royal Canadian Air Force operations record book (ORB) for March 5/6, 1945. Library and Archives Canada (LAC) Reel C 12270.)

http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...70/698?r=0&s=3

Edit: I now understand that there were two attacks on Feb14/15, 1945. Sorry for any confusion.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 27th April 2022 at 04:31.