Thread: Fg Off Richard BROWN

Thanks

Default Fg Off Richard BROWN

This pilot was born in Guilsborough, Northants, on 28 Sep 06, and possibly joined the RAF as an airman ca 1923-24 as, at his death in a flying accident on 23 April 1934, he was said to have been ‘over 10 years in the RAF’.

This is likely to have been the case as he was granted a permanent commission as a Plt Off on graduation from RAFCC Cranwell, 15 Feb 27 (sen 11 Dec 26).

I am hoping someone may have some visibility of this man prior to RAFCC, e.g. when he joined, whether he did so as an NCO u/t pilot or whether he was remustered, and if the latter what he joined as and where he might have done his flying training, etc.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Steve

There were two other cadets with the same commissioning date as Brown, the seniority date backdating it to the date the rest of the intake graduated, entry date being 1925.

It seems unusual for a cadet to enter Cranwell from RAF service unless having been an apprentice as it was considered to more like a Public School with the cadets coming straight from their previous establishment, in his case Northampton County School.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm, thanks for this, though my notes have him being educated at Eaglehurst College, Northants. I presume Northants County School would be a primary school and would have predated Eaglehurst? If a direct entry, I'm confused by the statement that he's spent over 10 years in the RAF, but it wouldn't be the first time the newspapers, etc., got it wrong!

Cheers
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm