Thread: CHUDZIK, STANLEY FRANK, 218 (R.A.F.) Sqdn

Sniper Guest

Default CHUDZIK, STANLEY FRANK, 218 (R.A.F.) Sqdn

Hi All,

Trying to find out what happened to this guy, STANLEY FRANK CHUDZIK, Pilot Officer, of 218 (R.A.F.) Sqdn, RCAF, buried at LYON (LA DOUA) FRENCH NATIONAL CEMETERY. I believe that he was on a mission in a Stirling EH884 HA-X on Operation Turin. I think it was shot down by a night fighter at around 14,000 feet and crashed with one survivor who became a POW.
    Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Sniper

Thanks

Pilot Officer Stanley Frank CHUDZICK J/18248 RCAF was posted onto No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron via No.1657 Con.Unit w.e.f 24th June 1943.

He flew his first operation as 2nd pilot on June 28th to Cologne, his pilot on this trip was Sergeant A.Aaron DFM. He carried out a further 9 operations, including three of the Hamburg raids of July / August 1943. On return from the Hamburg trip of July 24/25th his aircraft (Short Stirling Mk.III EH884 HA-X) was attacked by a Me110.

His loss on August 16th was a result of an attack by a unseen fighter near Lac du Bourget, a fire developed in bomb bay resulting in the order being given to bail out. Position of the loss is reported as Near Amberieu (Ain) 4558N 0522E on outward route. Five of the crew were killed, including CHUDZIK, the reargunner was taken PoW while the navigator evaded.

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Forgot to mention, Stanley Chudzik's brother, P/O W.J Chudzik (Airgunner) was also killed on operations with No.420 Squadron, June 11th 1944.
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Sniper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Forgot to mention, Stanley Chudzik's brother, P/O W.J Chudzik (Airgunner) was also killed on operations with No.420 Squadron, June 11th 1944.
    Hi Steve,

Many thanks for this information, gives me a lot more to work on now. One poser is that Stanley's brother is not mentioned on the Beamsville war memorial and i'm not sure why he isn't. I'll hand that over to the wife to see if she can find out if he came from Beamsville.

Again many thanks Steve, its very much appreciated.

Sniper

cturley Guest

Hi There, Stanley chudzik was my grandmothers first husband, have been trying to find information about his family. have some of his belongings from the war, please email me? thanks alot, cris
    cristurley@turleyshome.com

I have a picture of him on my website www.turleyshome.com

cturley Guest

Also if this helps Stanley was from ontario, canada, his parents emigrated there around mid 1920's....