Thread: Attempt to trace relatives of F/O Douglas Aubrey Hamilton

Thanks

Default Attempt to trace relatives of F/O Douglas Aubrey Hamilton

Dear all,

Just 100 yards from my home F/O Douglas Aubrey Hamilton is buried, killed during an accident over the Channel in the night of 5/6th October 1938.

This year it will be exactly 70 years ago that he was killed and as matter of fact the local historical society wants to pay more attention to this event.

I'm trying to trace the relatives of F/O Hamilton which will be a challenging attempt after so many years. Anyhow, his father was named Henry Claude Hamilton and mother Ellen Hamilton. It appears that he was maried and lived in Birmingham, or perhaps his parents lived there.

Hope somebody can point me into the right direction for further research. Perhaps some online family records exist or other methods can be used?

Thanks in advance,
    Hans Nauta
    The Netherlands

Thanks

Default Have you tried

searching Ancestry (using the family trees) or FreeBMD it might give you some clues, we have found some of the crew of DW110 Sunderland through this method. Good luck.

Dyan

Thanks

Default Finding relatives F/O D A Hamilton

Hans
    Try contacting one of these people at the Birmingham Post newspaper. Perhaps try the Deputy Editor? http://www.birminghampost.net/about-us/

It's best to phone first as emails aren't always answered OR email first, giving details of Hamilton, his wife & parents & why you are seeking relatives & ask if they have a search section ,or if you need to write a letter to the Editor . Then phone if no response

Children, if any, nephews ,nieces, cousins or even younger Hamilton brothers or sisters may still live in Birmingham but it's a big urban area .

Perhaps try google for other Birmingham newspapers, as well ?

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 20th July 2008 at 20:31.

Thanks

Default I have never had any luck

with the Birmingham Post and Mail - I wanted a copy of one of my relatives Obituary he was the Editor for many years and I have sent 14 emails and they will not even reply. Unfortunately as I am in NZ its a bit hard to ring them and I have written 3 letters nothing.... so good luck.

Dyan

Thanks

Default Storms.

Looking at the Times Archive for that week.

It may be of interest for your memorial that the whole of the UK and areas in Europe were lashed by ferocious storms that lasted for about 10 days. There were many deaths in London from falling trees, The ferries on the 5th couldn't sail, and another Harrow came to grief after being struck by lightning on the 7th, 10 miles out into the channel. 2 parachuted safely and the pilot managed to glide down safely. That was reported on the 7th, but there is no mention of the other loss.

Couldn't find anything useful about your airman (yet).
    Regards Christopher

LizT Guest

Default F/O Douglas Aubrey Hamilton

Hans

I've sent you a PM with some suggestions which might help you in your search.

Liz

PS Here's the link to the National Archives which might be a good place to begin.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
    Last edited by LizT; 21st July 2008 at 14:25. Reason: Forgot link.

Thanks

Hi Hans,

At the risk of being redundant. I have had nice successes in this area by using nothing more complicated than the international phone books. But it is unlikely that this could work here, considering that you have a common name and a large city. Therefore I think that your best bet would be the genealogical spheres, especially when considering that you have the full names of the parents. Another idea, if Birmingham as place of marriage would be correct, is to find out his religion via RAF PMA, and then contact the churches. If PMA does not deliver, then I would go for CoE as the religion first, and then RC, if needed. Good luck.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Dear all,

Thank you for all the input. I'll work these out hopefully this will lead to new information.

Best wishes,
    Hans Nauta

Thanks

Default Tracing relatives of f/o douglas aubrey hamilton

I have only just seen this thread and hope that someone is able to get back to me. I have emailed and pm Hans, but I am aware there have been no more replies to this posting since July last year.

You may like to know that I have just spoken to Jean Hamilton in New Zealand and she is the only daughter of F/O Douglas Aubrey Hamilton and would love to get in touch with anyone who she can share/exchange information with about her father. I have been working on my family history for many years now and have started publishing a quarterly newsletter. Jean is married to one of my relatives and she just happened to send me a little bit of info about her side of the family in case I was interested. I did a bit of 'googling' and found reference to this particular thread about Douglas Aubrey Hamiton and how he died in October 1938 when the plane came down over the North Sea. I spoke to her on the phone and she was thrilled. Nicky

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dyan View Post
    with the Birmingham Post and Mail - I wanted a copy of one of my relatives Obituary he was the Editor for many years and I have sent 14 emails and they will not even reply. Unfortunately as I am in NZ its a bit hard to ring them and I have written 3 letters nothing.... so good luck.

Dyan
    Quite true about lack of reporter response to emails.I ring & ask for the news desk of a particular newspaper & then to speak to a reporter.The northern newspapers in Yorkshire & Lancashire ,so far ,have been the best at covering WW2 airmen search stories. Now the former wife of Douglas Hamilton has been found she should be able to help with his relatives.
    Ringing UK from NZ is difficult with the time change but I ring Australia regularly & it means I have to stay up late or try early in the morning UK time to get open shops & official depts .Even if you get a named person to whom to write it may help with the obituary .
    Sometimes obituaries are on the newpaper's web site.

Anne