Thread: 34146 Wg Cdr Robert Cree CRAWFORD

Thanks

Default 34146 Wg Cdr Robert Cree CRAWFORD

I have a few questions about the above pilot's career that I hope someone may be able to assist with, please:

• Cree was posted to EWS at Cranwell as a student on 24 Apr 38, and was still there in February 1939. Does anyone know when he left, as he was next posted to 26 Sqn, flying Lysanders, but I know neither the location nor dates of his tenure with this latter unit.
    • Lastly, he was posted to 194 Sqn as OC in Nov/Dec 1944 (sources differ). Can anyone provide me an exact date, please?

I am not seeking any other information on this man.

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Steve

He was still at EWS in May 1939.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm
    Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Strange, but I only came across this chap last night ! He was pilot of Magister R1826 which crash-landed on 13 July 1940 on a race course. I cannot make out the location given on the Form 1180 but it looks like 'Caeole' to me. (If anyone can clear that one up I would be very grateful). The unit given was 'HQ Communication Flt.' and it was subordinated to 10 Group, Fighter Command. So I assume this must be 'No. 10 Group Communication Flight' based at Colerne.
    A snag is that Magister R1826 is not listed with that unit in the Air-Britain 'RAF AIRCRAFT P1000-R9999'. It merely lists the flying units for this aircraft as '39 MU CF/5 EFTS/16 EFTS/ECFS'. I do not have the Form 78 for R1826 so cannot pin down the dates. However as 39 MU was also based at Colerne it appears the pilot - presumably serving with No. 10 Group HQ - borrowed the Magister from them or that No. 10 Group had use of their aircraft as required.
    For clarification the F.1180 records him as 'S/Ldr. R. Crawford'. On checking the online August 1940 Air Force List, which was updated to 16 July 1940, I found there were three 'R. Crawfords' but Robert Cree (with seniority 1 June 1940) was the only possible candidate to match.

His tenure with 26 Squadron appears to have been unremarkable and possibly remarkably short ! I have looked through the 26 Squadron ORB and both Appendices that cover this period and found almost nothing on him. There is no mention of him joining or leaving the unit. He first appears in a Movement Order on 16 September 1939 prior to the unit's departure for France. He was listed as 'F/Lt. R.C. Crawford, I/c Signals'. He is noted in the ORB as going to France on 2 October 1939 and again two days later in France. That is all.
    He does not appear ever to have been an operational pilot with the unit. The 26 Sqn. F.541 only begins in February 1940. I checked it for the months of February, March and May 1940 (the pages for April were apparently lost) and found not one mention of him.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Thanks Martin

That flying accident might just fit, as Crawford was transferred to the Ministry of Aircraft Production in May 40, and to Flying Training Command in Oct 40. In re the racecourse location, Wikipedia provides a list of current and past English racecourses here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sh_racecourses and while I see nothing that jumps out at me, maybe you can see something I can't with a little local knowledge...?

In re 26 Sqn, thanks very much for reviewing the ORB for me. It would make sense, perhaps, that he would be a Sigs Officer with with unit after having completed a long course at EWS, which would also account for him not having been an operational pilot. I appreciate your time on this for me. Looks like it might be one of those postings that will never be known without accessing his personnel file.

Regards
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Brew; 4th February 2018 at 06:10. Reason: Spelling!