Thread: Request to decypher entries in a service record

Thanks

Default Request to decypher entries in a service record

Hello All,

I’ve just got another Service Record and – as usual – there are some abbreviations/acronyms who’s meanings/locations I can’t de-code! Can you please help? I put the year, and my guestimate in as well.

1 T Dep Sq – 1923 Training Depot Sqn, Uxbridge?
    2 HQ I A – 1923 No idea, but part of the Halton set-up.
    3 HQ C A – 1923 No idea, but part of the Halton set-up (my man was posted from HQ I A to HQ C A with the code ‘ABE’).
    4 2 C A Wing – 1932 No idea, but in India.
    5 BMH Rualpur – 1933 British Mil Hospital, in India but loc defeats me (might be Risalpur?).
    6 HQ P AREA – 1934 No idea but in UK (my man is back from o’seas, and about to go on the Reserve).
    7 HQ FA – 1934 UK. Probably same as 6 – but what/where?
    8 IMRS – 1939 UK. He’s been re-called and gone Sick – what/where?
    9 HCCS – 1939 UK. Medical Transfer – what where?
    10 1 MRS – 1940 UK. Probably the same as 8?

My man spent 162 days in various RAF/Military Hospitals in his career (let alone the days (un-reported on his Service Record) when he might have ‘Reported Sick’ to his local SSQ). I would like to know what the problem was – but appreciate the ‘difficulties’ of disclosing that info! The Service Record is, nowadays, so very heavily redacted (unless you are NoK) as to be barely worth 30? Should this be investigated?

Certainly the redaction makes it impossible (for non-NoK) to determine what Trade Group the subject might have been in? Thus, in this enquiry, answers to 2, and 3, above may be critical!! My man (and there are others in the same category) is on the official Met Office WW2 RoH. He was a JNCO i/c a party of new LAC junior Met Assts when they were all KOAS. It would seem, therefore, from his Service Record, that he was not – and never had been – a professional meteorologist. He was a JNCO Supervisor with some meteorological knowledge – but what?, and where? did he gain it?. In the early days of WW2 there were hundreds of newly qualified LAC junior Met Assts. It needed JNCOs – like this one – to attend to the discipline/admin side of things in the Met Sect of any Unit. We are trying to find out what the rest of these JNCOs did, so what we find from this Service Record may well ‘colour’ the way we approach the other, similar, cases!

Any help/steers will be gratefully received!

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 4th February 2018 at 15:44.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter

1 T Dep Sq 1923 Training Depot Sqn, Uxbridge - I agree
    2 HQ I A HQ Inland Area, Bentley Priory
    3 HQ C A HQ Coastal Area, Lee-on-Solent
    4 2 C A Wing Only thing I can suggest is No 2 (Indian) Wing Station.
    5 BMH was probably an Army unit
    6 HQ P AREA part of RAF Depot?
    7 HQ FA HQ Fighting Area
    8 IMRS nothing obvious listed in AFLs, Army unit?
    9 HCCS nothing obvious listed in AFLs, Army unit?
    10 1 MRS nothing obvious listed in AFLs, Army unit?

If his role was basically supervisory, perhaps he was simply ACH/GD

Malcolm

Thanks

Hello,

"MRS", is freely interpreted in RAAF (1939-45) parlance (which closely followed RAF protocol),as "Medical Receiving Station".

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th February 2018 at 01:44.

Thanks

Hi Peter

HCCS - possibly ? Casualty Clearing Station, could 'H' be a badly written number?

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm/Col,
    Mni tks yr help. We've probably cleared up much of the uncertainty - with the exception of Nos 8, 9, &10 in the original post. Depending on what they are - and, more importantly - where they are will reveal whether our man went to France with AASF, or not!
    When I was working with a mobile RAF HQ in the 60's/70's we had HQ xyz (Main), and HQ xyz (Step-Up). The bigger formations would have had an HQ xyz (Rear) tucked away somewhere out of harms way. Did AASF use this split system? - it was in use by RAF HQs pre-, and post-DDay!
    I'm trying to get to the bottom of this because a significant number of JNCOs on our RoH would seem to be professional meteorological Supervisors, rather than professional meteorologists - subtle difference!
    Tks again. Stick (yet another!!!) 'sticky' on yr screens/memories in case you come across anything similar!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!