Thread: Aircraft not lost events

Thanks

Default Aircraft not lost events

Hello,
    In the case of an American aircraft where one or more crew had bailed out but that the aircraft had returned to base or other allied field there were MACR's generated.
    In the case where this took place with RAF or Commonwealth aircrew bailed out and the aircraft returned, what report was made covering such event ?
    Presumably, not all those bails became pow, as some may have done so over allied territory and also sadly some may have been killed. So how/where can such details be found ?
    Many thanks
    Alex

Thanks

Hi Alex, thank you for interesting thread.
    First of all I am not able to give you an answer, I have just an negative experience.
    While trying to find out some details about bail outs of 311 Sq crew members I got stuck being unable to find any reports here in Military archive in Prague nor in TNA Kew.
    Even when one bail out has been fatal.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello Alex

I have a few cases in my research area. No straightforward method or single document. In one case, the airman lost his life when he parachuted down near Calais, so I had his name and basis détails from CWGC register. As he was R.A.A.F., I purchased his record of service and casualty file from the National Archives of Australia in Canberra, and copied the relevant ORB.

In other cases, the airmen who bailed out were captured, I copied each PoW questionnaire, and the Squadron ORB.

As far as Bomber Command is concerned (the majority of such cases), you usually won't find the détails in the normal volumes of Bill Chorley's BCL, but these casualties with no lost planes are listed in the volume 9 "Roll of honour".

I think there might be a few "K reports" but there's not so many of these, alltogether.

Joss

Thanks

Thank you both for the replies, looks as if I will have to look up any that were RAAF or RNZAF and just maybe there will be some references to their fellow crewmen ?
    Thanks again
    Alex

Thanks

I am sure a casualty file would have been raised.

But these have only been partially released so far

Paul

Thanks

Hello Paul,
    Thank you for the reply.
    Perhaps in times ahead these files may be made more available.
    Don't expect that I'll be around then though.
    Alex