Thread: Captured Dornier at Greenock. Info wanted

Thanks

Default Captured Dornier at Greenock. Info wanted

While I know about the captured Heinkel 115s at Helensburgh during the early part of the war, I have read passing reference to a captured Dornier seaplane at Greenock around the same period. Can any members confirm this and supply more information. This would be appreciated.

Thanks

G'day

If the Dornier Do 24T counts as a seaplane (or flying boat), the R.A.F. had three aircraft. One was given the R.A.F. serial number VN865. Do not know where they got it. Cheers...Chris

Thanks

thank you. I know two or three Dornier Do 24Ts ended up at the MAEE Felixstowe at the end of the war and were used for trials early in 1946 before being scrapped. My interest is the MAEE at RAF Helensburgh, where German seaplanes from Norway went. Maybe the Dornier at Greenock was destined there, if it did exist?

Thanks

"The early period" would presumably have been before the Luftwaffe adopted the Do24, which was being built for the Dutch. Therefore a likelier candidate would be a Do 18 - or perhaps more likely a misidentification. The RAF did make use of ex-Greek Do 22 floatplanes, with their crews, in the Middle East, but as far as I know not beyond the environs of Alexandria.

Thanks

Hi,
    Dorniers at Felixtowe:
    Do 24T W Nr 1135 of SNG 81 RAF serial VN865
    Do 24T-3 W Nr u/k (maybe 3926) of KG 200 RAF serial VM483
    Do 24T W Nr 3435 of SNG 81 RAF serial VN870

The ‚Air Min‘ Numbers AM 114, AM 115, AM 116

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Could it be possible that it was a Dutch Do 24 evacuated from Netherlands when Germany attacked this country. This will be in the same period the He 115 (one captured and some from Norwegian air force) came from Norway.

Thanks

Hello,

There is no mention of a Do 24 in the late Peter Moss' Impressments Log (Vol.IV, Appendix Three - Escaped Aircraft 1939-42 - Section One: The German Offensive in Europe 1939-40. pp.191-7). This source is somewhat dated (1966), but Moss did research his subject well.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 9th February 2018 at 23:51.

Thanks

Thank you for the feedback.I am coming to the conclusion that the Dornier at Greenock is a myth despite contemporary reference to it, albeit unsubstantiated. I can now concentrate on the subject of the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment at RAF Helensburgh

Thanks

I have a photograph of a 'Helensburgh' Heinkel 115 at Scottish Aviation, which would have been in a restricted area. This was probably mistaken as a Dornier by people who had a glimpse of it and had not seen a German floatplane before

Thanks

The local paper at Greenock carried a story asking readers Did they know if there was ever a Dornier at Greenock? The negative response infers the 'Dornier' was one of the Helensburgh Heinkels as photographed at Scottish Aviation