Thread: WALKER, Edward Lawson Flying Officer 125154 245 Sqn RAFVR

Thanks

Default WALKER, Edward Lawson Flying Officer 125154 245 Sqn RAFVR

Hi Everyone

Thanks to all those that have helped me so far. I have gathered so much useful information. This site is just wonderful in helping track down RAF casualties. I would like to find out more information about this man. Details I have are given below. Can anyone give me more information about the incident mentioned?

A letter from J.
    Hastings Lloyd, Martley Rectory, dated 17th June 1950 can be found within war
    records held at Worcestershire Archives requesting that his name be added to
    the county roll of honour. The letter states that Section Leader, Edward Lawson
    Walker, RAF, Coastal Command, age 25, was killed on patrol in the North Sea. Born Friday 15th February 1918, died 7th March
    1944, he was shot down whilst leading a section of his squadron who were
    attacking an enemy convoy.
    WALKER, Edward Lawson Flying Officer 125154 245 Sqn RAFVR RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL died 07/03/1944

Thanks

Hi Mark

He was probably killed whilst flying in Beaufighter X, JM384 or ? of No 254 Sqn (not 245 Sqn), which both failed to return from an anti-shipping attack off Norderney.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm You were correct about Walkers fate. I have download the operations log from the National Archive which show that his aircraft was one of 9 from 254 squadron sent to attack shipping off Norderney and his aircraft was the only one from 254 squadron which failed to return. One question you might be able answer - it does not give the aircraft number just the letter M next to the crew. How did you find the aircraft number?
    Regards
    Mark

Thanks

Hi Mark

The reason I assumed there were two missing is because I have four losses (assuming 2 per aircraft) for 254 on that date: -

WALKER, EDWARD LAWSON (125154) age: 26 RAFVR Fg Off
    HELPS, ERNEST TREVOR (916596) age: 27 RAFVR Flt Sgt
    MACPHERSON, JAMES (1052239) age: Unknown RAFVR Flt Sgt
    SMITH, EDWARD BEMBRIDGE(1576481) age: 20 RAFVR Flt Sgt

Does the ORB give any details on the other two?

If they only lost one aircraft, then presumably JM384 was 'M' but if the ORB doesn't give serial/code tie ups it's going to be difficult to find them.

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolm_raf; 11th February 2018 at 08:53.

Thanks

Hi Malcolm You were absolutely correct they did lose two aircraft that day. The aircraft were listed in two groups and I missed that. If you let me know how to do it, or send me your email, I will send you a copy of the ORB

Regards

Mark

Thanks

Hi Mark

You can send it to me at malcolm@rafweb.org

Cheers

Malcolm