Thread: Strachan, Sidney, 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron.

www.wartime-airfields.com & http://hamg.co.uk
    Thanks

Default Strachan, Sidney, 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron.

All I know is this chaps name and that he was most likely lost in KM-U (No serial number either)
    No year of loss, where, by what means or even a service number, can any one help fill in a few gaps please?

I have found four aircraft coded KM-U that served with 44 Sqd. One was lost over Lorient, France in Feb 1943, the next was lost over Dortmund in May 1943, next was lost over Caen, France in July 1944 and its replacement was lost a month on the 14th August 1944 over Brest France.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Denis; 9th February 2018 at 16:15.
    The wartime airfields of Hunsdon & Sawbridgeworth.

The Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group.

Thanks

Checking the 44sqdn ORB shows that he was not on board any of the aircraft in your list. The serials for the aircraft coded "U" for the losses mention are.......
    Feb 43, W4832.
    May 43, ED723.
    July 44, ND517.
    Aug 43, PD222.
    With reference as to him being "lost", there seems to be no recording of him on CWGC listings, and no sign of him in pow or escape/evasion lists. The only reference i can find in AIR78 RAF service numbers, is to a Sydney Gibb Anderson Massie Strachan, 135344325.
    Can i ask as to where you have information from as to Sidney Strachan being with 44sqdn please.

www.wartime-airfields.com & http://hamg.co.uk
    Thanks

Thank you Alan,
    The information comes from his Nephew, A chap I work with, all he has is a wartime photograph of a Lancaster with those codes, the assumption that he was with 44 was made there. sketchy family orientated rumours provide the rest !
    He has no living relatives to ask but did see an old telegram when he was younger at his aunts home. Alas she has long departed apparently.
    The wartime airfields of Hunsdon & Sawbridgeworth.

The Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group.