Thread: Combat report times Feb 42

Thanks

Default Combat report times Feb 42

Assistance please from someone familiar with UK time and German time.
    With the UK being on GMT plus 2, if an RAF pilot records a combat time as 14.03 hrs what time would a German pilot record from his watch if he considered his attack brought down the aircraft, 14.03 the same, 13.03 or 15.03?
    I am trying to position Hampdens which came under attack from ME109s. German records have 5 Hampdens brought down, we lost 3 in combat.
    Time differences if any may assist understand the discrepancy in numbers, and an hours flying time can put aircraft in quite different locations.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Thanks

This does not answer your question but I thought it worth pointing out that the information that I have is that in February 1942, the UK was on BST (1942 BDST did not start until 5th April 1942) so it was 1 hour ahead of GMT. The Germans were on GST at the time, which was 2 hours ahead of GMT.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Pete
    I think you have answered my question, October 40 the clocks were not put back remaining on BST (GMT+1), March 41 GMT+1 had the additional hour added becoming BDST (GMT+2). In October 41 the clocks lost the one hour as usual. Feb 42 was in this phase (GMT +1). Your info on German time being two hours ahead of GMT answers my question. An RAF pilot would record the attack at 14,03 hrs, the German pilot would read his watch as 15.03 hrs.

Thanks for the assistance, John
    Last edited by WOODHEAD; 11th February 2018 at 17:05. Reason: correction

Thanks

I can confirm that: German hour will be one hour more than British one for your date (7 February 1942 I guess)