Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help locating the "Rowan Tree House" and SSQ of RAF Stranraer?

Thanks

Default Help locating the "Rowan Tree House" and SSQ of RAF Stranraer?

I am researching a Danish woman in WAAF service during the Second World War. I have very little information available.

In December 1942, her address was listed as "RAF Station, Rowan Tree House, Stranraer, Wigtownshire, Scotland.” In another list she indicate that she was serving in the “Station Sick Quarters”. I have been unable to find information on a “Rowan Tree House” in Stranraer, nor have I been able to find information on the Station Sick Quarters.

Would anyone familiar with RAF Stranraer be able to help?

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel

If RAF Stranraer = Wig Bay, there is a site plan on https://scharpblog.wordpress.com/201...e-raf-wig-bay/

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Pete
    Excellent! I have indeed asked myself that very question (if RAF Stranraer = Wig Bay) but very helpful.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel

There's an airfield showing at Castle Kennedy, just a couple of miles SE of Stranraer (which it seems was a wartime one), and Google comes up with a "Rowantree" (which is/was possibly a guest house) at postcode DG9 8RY so maybe that's your one, not round the bay at Wig Town which was a seaplane base?

Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 12th February 2018 at 10:04.

Thanks

May I suggest West Frough, placed 8 kilometers South of Stranrear.

My father went through Bombing and Gunnery course there in July till September 1941.

Best regards

John K.S.

Thanks

Thank you both.

I'll look into the Rowantree Cottage. Since, the address indicated by her in the first place was a postal address, it could have been in the general area of the station and not on the premises. John, you mean RAF West Freugh, right?

Mikkel

Thanks

Yes, I guess that with a (relatively) small RAF station, she could have been billeted out in a local house rather than in accommodation on site?

Ian

Thanks

It seems that some billetted crew used the RAF staion name and then the 'proper' postal address of the place where they were staying. I have seen it before and did not see how this helped security in any way or got the post handled any differently, but there may have been some advantage.

A local copy of KELLYS DIRECTORY for any year around the time in question could give you the location of Rowan Tree House (and even the landlord/lady + phone number) if you have time to trawl through the pages. If you are lucky the local library can direct you to a copy.

HTH,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Yes, Ianh. Typo on my part.
    In fact my father was also billeted privatly, so I guess the station was rather small at the time.

John KS

Thanks

Just found out that she married a gentleman from Castel Kennedy in 1946 :-)

Mikkel