Thread: Lawson G Foley DSO 83 SQN

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Lawson G Foley DSO 83 SQN

Hope I'm posting in correct category as it's my first time on the site. Have found out that my 2nd cousin received the DSO 26 Oct 1945 while serving in 83Sqn. His full name is Lawson George Foley. Has anyone any info on his service record or can I access it?
    Think he was a FL or Squadron leader. Thanks

Thanks

Hello Traysha44, and Welcome,

FOLEY, L. G. - D.S.O. LG: 26 Oct.1945 Flight Lieutenant (142901), R.A.F.V.R. , 83 Sq. "In recognition of gallantry and devotion to duty in execution of air operations."

Lawson George FOLEY. Served in the ranks, 956599 F/Sgt., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve; (142901) P/O (P), 20 Feb. 1943; War Subs. F/O, 20 Aug. 1943; War Subs. F/Lt.; No.83 Sqn.; Served in air ops over Europe (DSO); Flight 13 Dec. 1945 has the following details for his D.S.O.: "Flt. Lt. Foley has served in both the Middle East and European theatres of war. As an air bomber and set operator he has consistently shown outstanding ability. He has always displayed cool courage and resolution in the face of the enemy. On one occasion in April, 1944, Fl. Lt. Foley's aircraft was badly damaged by enemy action and the equipment rendered unservicable. With great skill he guided his pilot in visually and the attack was successfully completed. Later this officer's aircraft was shot down over France, but he evaded capture and fought with the Maquis until able to resume operational flying again." Granted a permanent commn. as F/O 9 Feb, 1951 (Sen. 20 Dec. 1948); F/Lt., 4 Jun, 1953; Retired retaining the rank of S/Ldr., 6 Aug, 1966.

See:
    Companions of The Distinguished Service Order 1920-2006 - Air Awards.
    Hearns,Douglas V.P.
    Uckfield:Naval & Military Press,2011.
    p.148.

3-4 May 1944
    83 sqn
    Lancaster III JB402:OL-B
    Op: Mailly-le-Camp

T/o 2153 Coningsby to bomb a military camp, and captained by the Deputy Controller. Homebound, shot down by a night-fighter and crashed 0045 near Orbais in the Marne, 15 km NE of Montmirail. The second navigator, F/L Tindall, gained his DFM with 58 Squadron, details being published on 18 July 1941. W/O Teague's award had been Gazetted on 20 April 1943; he had flown with 115 Squadron. Raoul and Pierre Dupuis were amongst those who helped S/L Sparks in his return to the United Kingdom.

S/L E W M Sparks - Evaded
    Sgt C Steele - Evaded
    P/O J A Kraemer - PoW
    F/L J W Tindall DFM - PoW
    F/L L G Foley - Evaded
    W/O D A Woodland - Evaded
    F/Sgt K Hunter - Evaded
    W/O W G Teague DFM - Evaded

See:
    Royal Air Force Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War Vol.5 1944.
    Chorley,W R.
    Earl Shilton:Midland Counties Publications,1997.
    p.206

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 14th February 2018 at 07:11.

Thanks

I can let you have details on his operations with 83sqdn if needed
    Alan

Thanks

Default L G Foley Records

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    I can let you have details on his operations with 83sqdn if needed
    Alan
    Hi Alan
    As the daughter of Lawson George Foley, I wonder if you could also send me a copy of the records you have? I would be very grateful as am trying to piece together details of his life.
    My email address is tivoli@wnation.net.nz
    Thanking you in anticipation.
    Debbie

Thanks

Hi Debbie,
    Will do, give me a couple of days.
    Alan

Thanks

Thanks very much. Looks like we got some of the info correct. He died 1978 at Cheltenham aged 58.

Thanks

Thanks very much for info. How do I get the records Alan? Is it by private message or email? Am new to this. Seems we got some of the facts correct eg being a Sqn leader. He died at Cheltenham in 1978 aged 58.

Thanks

If you can let me have your email address via a private message, i'll get them together and send later today when i get in from work.

Thanks

Thanks Alan, have sent you a pm. By the way in 1939 register Lawson was a locomotive fireman with GWR. How and when would he have trained to be a pilot?

Thanks

Does anyone here know if it would be possible to get a good copy of my Father (L G Foley) citation? I have a rough photocopy but would like a much better one.