Thread: Service number required - Newfoundlandler

Thanks

Default Service number required - Newfoundlandler

Good afternoon,

I'm after the service number and first names of a pilot who served with No. 125 Squadron. His name is R.G. White (known as 'Ran' White if that can help). He was a Newfoundlander and ended the was with the rank of A/S/L and A Flight CO of 125 Sqn. Posted to 125 Sqn in the autumn 1941 as P/O and made two tours with the 125.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Phil

Thanks

Hello,

798577 Randell George WHITE.

Col.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Hello,

798577 Randell George WHITE.

Col.
    Thanks Col. That gives 68130 as an officer.

Phil

Thanks

Phil,

Wonders will never cease!

You might note I use the spelling, "Randell". Why?

http://www.ngb.chebucto.org/NFREG/WW...ntingent.shtml

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 18th February 2018 at 15:33.

Thanks

Phil/Col,
    I have him (copy/paste from the LG page summary - it won't produce the actual page (not unusual!)) as "798577 Randall George WHITE (68130) Commissioned presumably to Plt Off wef 10th Apr. 1941.(Seniority 9th Apr. 1941)". Is he 'Randell', or 'Randall'?, but that is not the reason for my post.
    My Service Number List has 798500-799549 (Highest Issued 798857) RAFVR, Local, Newfoundland, Initial Issue 01-Aug-40, Last Issue (possibly?) 31-Aug-40.
    It is my understanding that the term "Local" was short for "Locally Employed". This meant that the individual (RAFVR/WAAF, etc) would be kitted and basic trained where they lived. They would be uniformed, have a normal F1250, and be subject to the Air Force Act, etc, but not be expected to work away from 'home'. This was meant(?) to apply to the myriad clerks, cooks, batpersons, bottle-washers, etc, etc, who were needed to keep a Station running, and who might be the sole 'bread-winner', and might even Live Out (i.e. at home). OK - if the 'War' came to them then they would be 'in it' like the rest of us.
    So did their initial Attestation contain some phrase to indicate "locally employed"? I appreciate that individual circumstances might well change (and those changes were not, necessarily, LG material?) and, as in the case of this individual, he was not just counting/stacking blankets at Goose Bay/Gander, etc, but going to be aircrew!
    Am I right?
    TIA for words of wisdom
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks

And further to my last:
    There are nearly 10,000 RAF/VR/WAAF numbers under the heading “Local”.
    Locations include: Trinidad, Bermuda, Middle East, Rhodesia, Iraq, Far East, Newfoundland, UK, Overseas(?), Maltese, Cypriots, Palestinians(WW2 variety I hasten to add!).
    Now 10,000 is not an insignificant number! These "Local" Attestations were not invented one afternoon on the back of an envelope (NB Operations have, more than once, come into being this way!) by somebody who thought it was "a good idea" but must have had some considerable Air Ministry/Foreign Office/Commonwealth Office 'administrative effort'?
    So what was it, and why?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!