Thread: Post war jettison areas

Thanks

Default Post war jettison areas

Hi,

During July / August 1945 218 were given 'special jettison' trips. Unfortunately where the jettison sites are is not recorded. Any ideas please ?

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve

No 35 Squadron's ORB records it as the "North Sea" .... I am pretty sure that Cardigan Bay was also used, but this may have been for Operation Sincum (need to see if I can dig out the details on that one, but this did not start until 1946)

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 1st March 2018 at 10:35.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Steve,

100 Squadron's ORB records the dumping of incendiaries as taking place "off the coast of Great Yarmouth". Presumably this was rather rather further out into the North Sea than the narrative would suggest, lest the good burghers of that famous seaside town should receive a rude awakening if any of the ordnance suddenly went bang after laying dormant on the seabed for a while!!

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Gents,

Back from the artic conditions. Greg will call ASAP.

Thank you both.

Regards

Steve

Thanks

This is a subject that doesn't seem to have much information about it. During the war and probably for some time after a number of inland bombing ranges were earmarked as jettison areas. However my research shows that it was normally over the North Sea. I suspect that if this was an emergency jettison then navigating to a prescribed area would not be considered. All stores would, or should, have been dropped safe so accidentally detonation should not occur - or so I believe.

Cardigan Bay was used for Operation Wastage which started in 1945 (June?) and continued into 1946. The record I found only concerned target indicators (15Sqn 21/6/1945) but I assume it also included HE bombs as well.

I understand there were prescribed areas post war, into recent times, but haven't found any confirmation yet.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for this. The 218 ORB does not record what was jettisoned sadly. The trips started in July 1945 up until August when the squadron disbanded. That would full nicely into Operation Wastage.

Thanks again.

Steve

Thanks

Hello Steve,
    If it's important, the way to narrow down the area is to look at Admiralty records to see what areas were mentioned as 'no go' for shipping on the dates concerned.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hi Bruce,

Not really, just being pedantic. I think a general 'sea' will do on this occasion !

Cheers

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 1st March 2018 at 12:38.

Thanks

Hi Steve

Do the ORB's, or anyone's log books that you may have copies of, give the duration of any of these flights? If they were straightforward 'there and back' trips (can't see any particular need for them to more than that), and you know where they set off from, an estimated speed (180-200 mph?) will give you a (VERY) rough indication of the maximum distance they'd have flown from base.

Maybe they'd have used the old wartime jettison areas to at least keep the stuff in one area? Just guessing. Would wartime ops orders have given those areas for the crews involved on those raids?

Ian

Thanks

From the Ludford Magna Station ORB:

14 July 1945: Group Broadcast - Jettisoning of Incendiaries to commence on 16th July. Later cancelled as Jettison Area not yet approved by the Admiralty.
    23 July 1945: 55 sorties were carried out on the jettisoning of incendiary bombs
    24 July 1945: 69 " " " " " " " " " "
    29 July 1945: Group Operational Order No. 23 New jettison area for the jettisoning of incendiaries (CARDIGAN BAY) and the dates on which dropping is to be carried out.

Dave