Thread: RAF in the Scilly Islands

Thanks

Default RAF in the Scilly Islands

I am trying to sort out who did what, where, and when for the RAF in the Scilly Islands. I have limited info on the (fixed wing) frightener of an airfield at St Mary's. Willis/Holliss say it was a satellite airfield in 10 Group - satellite of where? Additionally, Coastal Command are stated as using the Scillies as a Foward Operating Base. Does anyone have any details. If there was a flying boat operating base then there was, most likely, an MCU to provide servicing support? Also, was there an Air Sea Rescue Unit based there?
    Tks in antic for any info
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter,

On following website some accidents are mentioned (24/01/44, 28/01/44, 06/02/44 to name a few) of aircraft that were stationed at or used RAF St. Mary's: http://www.rafdavidstowmoor.org/pages/crash_log/crashlog44.htm

Perhaps the mentioned units will help you somewhat further.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

This may also help:

http://worldwar2airfields.fotopic.net/c1341609.html

There was also an article about 2 or 3 months ago about the Scillys in Britain at War Magazine. I think there was mention of the RAF. I shall have a look for it later

A

Thanks

Hello Peter,

If you can , get hold of a copy of "Action Stations" number 5. Military airfields of the South West, by Chris Ashworth.
    Then Graham Smith's "Devon and Cornwall Airfields in the Second World War" has also some info.
    Or "War over the West" by Eddie Walford edited by Ken Sheldon.
    If you want early stuff then Peter London's "U-Boat Hunters - Cornwall's Air War 1916 -19" is a must.

All for now
    Alex

Thanks

Peter,
    Norman Franks had an article in Air Pictorial way back in the last century,(well Nov 1979) dealing with 87 Sqns detachment at St.Mary's. I can scan it for you if it is of any assistance! Anyone else welcome also.
    Tony K

Thanks

Peter,

Some more info here: http://www.hrmtech.com/SIG/stmarys.asp

It appears that RAF St. Mary's was (also) a satellite airfield for RAF Portreath. See story on
    http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/p/portreath/index.html

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Thanks to all who responded - the Librarians at my local library do tend to sigh heavily when they see me coming in with yet another list of obscure books for them to obtain.
    One of my sons is going, on holiday en famille, to the Scillies. There are - as many of you may know - some weather days in that area when cloud, sea, sky, etc, all coalesce into one!!! On such days my son is looking for some subject to occupy his two senior teenage children when they are unable to sport themselves on the beach! Who knows; they may discover something! If they do, and I cannot answer their queries, then I may have to throw myself (again!!) on the expertise of the Forum.
    Just hope for fine, sunny, weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tks to all
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 21st July 2008 at 15:57.

Thanks

Peter

the RNAS had a flying boat station on Tresco, in the New Grimsby area if memory serves. About half way up the island on the western side. Am unable to get a good aerial view of the site now to see if anything remains, but the slipway should still be in situ.

regards

DaveW