Thread: Lt. G A Argument, 33 Sqn, loss Sep 17, 1944

Thanks

Default Lt. G A Argument, 33 Sqn, loss Sep 17, 1944

Hello All, long time no see.

I am helping a friend research this loss over ROOSENDAAL, Netherlands on Sep 17, 1944. We have the ORB entry and his service file (which I have not seen) and the usual GWGC info.

I was wondering if anyone could assist with any additional info, such as a/c serial no. / call letters and any further description of the bombing run by this Spitfire group of the railways yards.

Lt. Godfrey Addision 'Ed' Argument of Toronto was shot down by flak on this one.

Thanks.
    David

Thanks

It seems my research skills have grown a bit rusty since I was last active :) I found him in the Spitfire Production lists.

NH318 LFIX CBAF M66 45MU 23-5-44 310S 15-6-44 33S 27-7-44 Bombing rail targets Shot down by flak Roosendaal 17-9-44 F/O G A Argument RCAF killed

Is there a squadron history or other info on someone's shelf?
    David

Thanks

David

What a fantastic surname! His R.C.A.F. records are on ancestry.co.uk.

He was born on August 28th 1921 at Toronto, Ontario. His Paybook gives his N.o.K. as Ethel Josephine Argument, 2, Almond Place, Fenham, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and includes a photo which I think must be her. His father, also Godfrey, was born in Willington, Co. Durham.

Included in the records is a letter to his wife from S/Ldr Ian Matthew, O.C. 33 Sqn, dated September 9th 1944, which includes the following:

We were on a bombing trip and had bombed the target when Ed, as he was known to us, called up on the radio to say he had been hit by flak, very shortly after this he informed me that he thought his engine was going to stop and that he thought he would have to crash-land in a field. During all this time this was taking place his number two was with him and saw him open his hood, the aircraft then went into a gentle dive and crashed in a field.
    Ed was a very popular member of the Squadron and his loss is deeply felt, both as a good friend and as a good pilot.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks Simon, great stuff. I think my friend had that from the same source, but it's great to have it here in the thread. I can also add to this that he attended Humberside Collegiate Institute in Toronto and, yes, he was known as 'Ed' - so much cooler than his given names :)
    David