Thread: Unit in Maison Blanche, Algiers?

Thanks

Default Unit in Maison Blanche, Algiers?

I'm trying to decypher the name of a unit a man was posted to after 58 OTU, at Maison Blanche, Algiers, in July 1943. I'm reading from an image of a logbook taken off a reader at Hendon, which is not of the best quality, and the unit looks like 'No. 1 APO (or OPD) NA'. The 'No. 1' is definitely correct and I assume 'NA' stands for North Africa, but I cannot work out what APO (or APD) is.

I have found that the US' No. 1 Army Post Office ('No. 1 APO') was based at Maison Blanche at this time, but cannot imagine an RAFVR pilot would be sent to Algiers to serve in such a unit.

In the two months he was there, before returning to 58 OTU, he made just four flights, three in Spit. Vc's and one in a Spit. IXc. On checking the serials in Morgan and Shaklady, all it says is that the serials were shipped to North Africa and, after my man flew them, transferred to the USAAF or FFAF. For what it's worth, though, each of the four flights he made were one-way; he returned on each occasion as a passenger in a DC3, but I cannot read the destination, which was the same each time, though it starts with a 'T'.

Has anyone any idea what unit with the abbreviation 'APD' or 'APO' could have been in Maison Blanche between late July and late September 1943, that an RAFVR pilot could have been sent to serve in?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Steve,

I have no info about Algeria but there was the similar thing in UK when a figher pilot was posted to the APC - Armamanet Practice Camp - from the OTU.

Unformtunately No. 1 APC was not in Maison Blanche.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel

You're right, but I had discounted Armament Practice Camp already.

Cheers
    Steve

Thanks

Default Maison Blanche

Hello Steve

A little google search shows the following there maybe more site

in WW2 people's war the story of Baron John Herrick Callaghan RAF32 sqn
    a french site ciel de gloire 81 sqn
    682sqn was form there from 4PRU

Hopes it helps

René

Thanks

Steve,

Could it perhaps be No.1 Base Personnel Depot (BPD), though I do not know whereabouts in the Middle East it was based in mid-1943.

Errol

Thanks

Hi Steve
    From Flying Training and Support Units since 1912- Ray Sturtivant and John Hamlin, it seems that 58 0TU spent it's time in NE Scotland and seems to be an unusual place from which to send someone on a 2 Months detachment to N Africa. He seems to have been used as a delivery pilot for 4 Spitfires and then returned to the OTU. Is it possible that the unit in Maison Blanche was the Post office used as an accommodation address?
    There is an airfield, Thelepte, deep in Tunisia about 130 mls S W of Tunis which, from Jeffords RAF Sqns ,was used by 241 Sqn with Spitfires. Delivery cum air test of 4 such a/c is reasonable,if the range is right, but by a pilot brought in from Scotland!!??. If it was meant to be the start of a posting which, for some reason, fell through it could explain the return to 58 OTU, after 2 months.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Rene, Errol and Dick

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll keep looking, as it's still not clear. I'm thinking now that it's more like a D than an O (No. 1 APD NA), by comparing the letter to handwriting elsewhere in the logbook. Hmmm, bit of a mystery.

Thanks for your help
    Steve