Thread: Short Stirling Engine Fire, what was the procedure

Thanks

Default Short Stirling Engine Fire, what was the procedure

Hi,

A Stirling expert needed. What was the procedure with an engine fire ?

TIA

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve. I have recently spent quite some time on this matter researching for my book 'Fuel Fire and Fear' a history of Flight Engineers. Instructions changed as did some fire suppressant equipment as time passed by, I accepted that in effect it was only possible to directly quote from the various 'manuals' published which touched on the subject. IE ap2095 pilots notes actions in event of fire in an engine in flight. I hope this may help.

Thanks

The answer will depend upon the date, if early, it may depend upon what stage the Stirling fleet was at, regarding any modification. If the Stirling had to be modified, look at any AIR and AVIA files on the Stirling and look for the Engine Modification Book, in AIR 10.

The Whitley (Merlin X) aircraft was used in 1939 and most of 1940 without any engine fire extinguishing system.

A Whitley Captain over Southern England in mid 1940 with a Merlin fire, told his crew to fire SOS Verys and send SOS by wireless requesting a landing and he managed to land, but the aircraft burst into flames as soon as the wheels touched down.

He never flew again and he survived the war in another RAF role.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 4th March 2018 at 23:42.

Thanks

Hello,

Apologies Steve, but it does show the State-of-the-Art, early 1940.

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightP...20-%200459.PDF

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 4th March 2018 at 13:20.

Thanks

Hello Col and All

I was most interested to see the Graviner Fire Fighting advertisement in the 15 February 1940 Edition of Flight, featuring the Whitley and other aircraft.

However, the Engine Fire Extinguishing System on the Merlin X engine (fitted to the Whitley Mk V), was only approved July - September 1940 and the Engine Fire Extinguishing System did not appear in the Merlin X Engine Modifications until 30 October 1940.

AIR 10/2521 Merlin X Modifications and Leaflets AP No. 1590E ( http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C3306671 )

Image of A.P.1590E/Z.2
    http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries...G?m=1520202914

I was looking, to discover when the Hot Air system was fitted on the Whitley Merlin X carburettor intakes.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 4th March 2018 at 23:50.