Thread: Help please - Gordon Walker on the Brawdy Memorial

Thanks

Default Help please - Gordon Walker on the Brawdy Memorial

Hi there
    I have been voluntary helping research (with the help of a couple of local historians ) and wondered if you could help. I am trying to find soldiers, airmen, sailors etc from my own town of Ossett who gave their lives for our country and came across a man named Gordon Walker on the Brawdy Memorial section of a website https://www.wwwmp.co.uk/pembrokeshir...itary-burials/

The information states he was drowned following a accident at Penycum on March 15th 1968. It appears Gordon was from Ossett and wondered if you had any further information about the accident?

The two historians mentioned have a wonderful website all about Ossett including local men and women who served our country during WW1 and WW2 and are hoping in the future to add other brave men and women we can find including Gordon so they can be remembered back home.

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes

Andrea

Thanks

Andrea,

Welcome to this site,

Gordon Walker was age 25 and an M(E)1 in the RN at HMS Goldcrest, which was the naval flying station at Brawdy.

Although his name is included in the Roll of Honour he is not listed on the Armed Forces Memorial at Alrewas. This means he was not on duty at the time of his death.

You might find a search of local papers around Haverfordwest might help get further information.

Good Luck with the search

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin

Many thanks for the welcome , a great website!

I will try searching the newspaper you mentioned.

Thank you
    Andrea

Thanks

Andrea

The newspaper archive on FindMyPast includes the Birmingham Daily Post of Saturday, March 16th 1968, which reported the following:

Search for Missing Ratings
    Police and teams of men from the Royal Naval Air Station at Brawdy, near Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, were searching 150 ft. high cliffs near the station last night for two missing ratings.
    Earlier another rating was found drowned in shallow water at the foot of the cliffs.
    All three ratings, who are stationed at Brawdy, were off duty together on Thursday afternoon.
    They were seen together near Newgale Beach, a beauty spot a mile from the station with high cliffs at each end.
    Yesterday, after the three failed to return, a search, led by a Naval helicopter, began.
    Garry Walker [sic], aged 25, of Ossett, West Riding, was seen floating in shallow water by the helicopter crew. He was dead.
    The search for the others was immediately stepped up. They are Ronald Cope, aged 21, of Woodend, Pendine, Camarthenshire, and Gordon Palfrey, aged 20, of Relands Road, Penarth, Glamorgan.
    Just before 9.30 p.m. the search was called off because of darkness. It will be resumed this morning.

There are no further articles in the newspaper archive, but more from this site:

http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1966-69.htm

Goldcrest, RNAS Brawdy, drowned at Penycum, Pembrokeshire, Wales:
    COPE, Roland J, Leading Mechanic (M) (E), 068808
    PALFREY, Gordon, Mechanic (M) (E) 1c, 068601
    WALKER, Gordon, Mechanic (M) (E) 1c, K 974952

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 4th March 2018 at 17:18. Reason: typo

Thanks

Simon

Thank you so much for all this information, it is very appreciated but also very sad at the same time for all involved in the accident,

Kind regards

Andrea

Thanks

Andrea,

Not directly related to this enquiry, but I'm sure one of "my" boys on 100 who was killed in WW2 was from Ossett. If it'll help your research project I'll try and find which one and send you the details if you like.

Best wishes,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

HI Greg
    That would be fantastic, many thanks for you help.
    Kindest regards
    Andrea