Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: German sources IIIJG54

Thanks

Default German sources IIIJG54

Hello,

I am researching my great Uncle and have located two posts between Henk and 'Ari' discussing my great Uncle, Donald Joseph Lester, 425173.

Ari corrects Henk's first post and sites 'Information from German sources (IIIJG54) are more accurate than Bomber Command'.

How do I get access to this German source (IIIJG54) which they refer to?
    I am interested in following this link up so any help is most welcomed.

Thank you to all,

Tammy

Thanks

Hello,

Some background.

Henk/Ari discussion:

http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/10623.php

See also: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...where-to-start

Tammy,

You will find an account of the attack on the RAF bombers on 6 August, 1944, in the following book:

The JG 26 War Diary Volume Two 1943-1945
    Caldwell,Donald
    London:Grub Street,1998.
    pp.313-5

Whilst the account is quite detailed, it focuses on JG 26's activities, with mention of III./JG 54, and other units involved, as an aside.

You are really unlucky as far as III./JG 54 is concerned. There is an excellent book on this unit (Green Hearts First in Combat with the Dora 9/Urbanke), but the coverage of III./JG 54 starts on 15 August, 1944. Just missed!

If you haven't already done so, might be a good idea to chase up the service files of the RCAF members aboard No.83 Sqn Lancaster III PB140:

J22132 F/O (Nav.) Albert Keith IRWIN RCAF (later DFC, LG 14/11/44)

and...

J87594 P/O (Air Bomber) Malcolm MACNIEL RCAF (later DFC, LG 17/10/44)

Other members of this forum can give you guidance on how to do this, and also check out Hugh Halliday's RCAF Award site:

http://rcafassociation.ca/heritage/search-awards/

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th March 2018 at 04:38.

Thanks

Good morning Col,

Thank you for your information, it has been very useful.

I have gathered some personnel details of the RAF crew members who flew with Donald on that mission. Some of the pilots letters to home produced details which helped in further searches.

I will follow up all the leads you have suggested and will look into the Canadian lads.

RAAF documentation is conflicting in terms of the location of the artillery base the mission targeted.
    Bois De Casson is listed in all RAAF material however Bois De Cassan would seem more like the location, given its proximity to Paris and size. Hopefully some of my new searches will shed some light here.

Thank you again Col,

Tammy

Thanks

Tammy,

Could I suggest you try the 12 O'clock High Forum at http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php . The forum has considerable expertise in Luftwaffe operations and may be able to provide an answer to whatever you are seeking from unpublished sources. Post your query in the Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces section.

Brian

Thanks

Tammy,

You can see a listing of the Luftwaffe Lancaster claims for the 6 August 1944, here:

http://aces.safarikovi.org/victories...-lancaster.pdf

Scroll down to 6.8.1944.

Col
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th March 2018 at 16:20.

Thanks

Shall do Brian - thank you!

Thanks

Thank you again Col, most helpful.

Thanks

Hi Col,
    Just to clarify - is this a list of 'downed' aircraft or 'damaged aircraft'?

My Uncles plane was attacked however it did manage to crash land back at Ford, UK.
    My Uncle bailed out prior to the second order being issues (cancelling bail out order).
    As he was an upper gunner, he did not have the benefit of visuals of other crew members and would have taken his radio gear off immediately. I'm trying to get a better understanding of where he may have landed. The mention in aces.safarikovi.org does mention, 'Pontoise' which would support previous claims of where my Uncle may have landed.

Could you provide any research starting points for me to find out if there were any allied forces on the ground in the area that my Uncle bailed out please?

Thanks

Tammy

Thanks

Tammy,

It is a listing of Lancaster claims made by the Luftwaffe on 6 August, 1944, I passed it on to give you some idea of the units involved in the combats on that day.The claims made were just that, claims, not necessarily confirmed victories. PB140 sustained severe damage, including an engine fire, and at least one of the crew baling out. It would not be unreasonable for a Luftwaffe pilot to lodge a claim for the destruction of the aircraft.

I'm fully aware that PB140 returned to the UK and crash-landed at Ford airfield. I have researched the fate of AUS425173 W/O Donald Joseph LESTER RAAF, for over 20 years now, but I'm still none the wiser as to his last resting place, nor how he met his end.

Col.

Thanks

Thank you Col,
    Not to get all warm and fuzzy, however it is lovely to know there are others out there taking an interest in my Great Uncles story.
    Would you mind if I PM'd you please?
    I have collected a lot of information and have some other ideas I would like to follow up on. You may have already exhausted the leads I am thinking of, so I would like to clarify that please.
    Thank you again,
    Tammy