Thread: Loss of Fortress 1 of 90 Squadron 8 September 1941

Thanks

Default Loss of Fortress 1 of 90 Squadron 8 September 1941

I'm looking for some help please regarding the loss of a Fortress AN533 WP-N on 8 September 1941.
    From aircrew remembered it seems that the aircraft took off from RAF Polebrook at 0925 for a raid on Oslo but was shot down by ME109Es. Another aircraft, AN525, crashed in Norway.
    An entry about 90 Sqd in Wikipedia refers to two aircraft being lost on a raid on the "Admiral Scheer" in Oslo harbour on this date.
    My puzzlement comes from looking at Sergeant/Air Gunner (516847) Robert Wilkin from Annan in Dumfriesshire who was on AN533 and who is buried in Annan Cemetery.
    The cemetery burial records have "Killed on active service, body found on north coast of Scotland" and he was buried on 12 September.
    However the Death Register for Kinloss in Morayshire shows his death as Robert Wilkins (sic) Sergeant RAF 8 September 1941 at Kinloss Aerodrome at 0hr 20m AM. Cause of death - Gun Shot Wounds of Legs. Anoxaemia Haemorrhage.
    Which infers that the aircraft may have landed???? or does it????
    I've got the horrible feeling that I'm missing something, so help, please.

Ken

Thanks

Ken

From an article by Paul Bingley, Flypast Magazine, May 2016, page 21:

On the second of these raids, August 8, 1941, AN533 flown by Sqn Ldr Mathieson failed to return; fate unknown. Fg Off Dave Romans, piloting AN525 was attacked at 25,000ft by two Bf 109s. His Fortress burst into flames and crashed in the Norwegian mountains, killing all on board.
    Sgt Tim Wood’s AN535 also came under attack. He jettisoned his bombs and climbed to 34,000ft before oxygen failure incapacitated two of his gunners. Forced to descend to 24,000ft, he was attacked by a lone Bf 109 which killed Sgt Wilkins. Sgt Woods nursed AN535 back to Kinloss where it crash-landed.

The Fortresses had flown from Kinloss, not Polebrook.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 11th March 2018 at 16:52.

Thanks

Simon - thank you so much.
    Looking at aircrewremembered again I see that the man on AN533 was R Wiilis not R Wilkin as I had thought.
    I did find one ref to a detachment at Kinloss but couldn't confirm it anywhere.
    So my man was on AN535 and all the other bits fall into place. Brilliant - well nearly "August 8, 1941" ????
    Ken

Thanks

No problem Ken.

The 'August 8' seems to be a typo - there's a table of 90 Sqn's Ops on the same page, and that states September 8 - four Fortresses sent to Oslo to attack the Admiral Scheer, 2 lost, one crash-landed at Kinloss.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon - Please accept a "virtual" gold star!

Ken